Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    That is one heck of a swim right there!!
  • Former Member
    Tech suits don't help as much in 50s. Well the B-70 seemed to be of benefit in your SCM 50 fly! www.youtube.com/watch Very impressive swim, a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Of course, Jim Thorton had an alternative angle on the same swim, which looked really cool on the last 15 meters, if you have the will-power to focus on the race. This absurd attempt at comedy actually did momentarily win me over, until somehow I felt guilty, just for having an association with such a brilliantly twisted persona. Here is the video, for posterity: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    The drop to 29.99 probably reflected the fact that I tapered more or just generally improved since then. Jim is, as you note, endlessly entertaining in person! Fair enough, I hear you on the taper... I reduced the dryland program last week, and last night the swim felt better... SCM 200 swim 150 drill 100 kick 50 build 2X(3x200 + 2x50 1fast/1easy) on 3:30 and 1:30 On fast from push 25.6, 25.2 Last one felt great 12x25 underwater no breathing with fins, on :45 This was quite difficult 200 easy
  • Former Member
    Most of you have probably seen the new 100 free WR by Amaury Leveaux in a time of 44.94, which is absolutely incredible, wearing a TYR, no less. Here is the video again, with some great slow mode clips. www.youtube.com/watch The thing that really impresses me is how far underwater he goes, and much faster than the other top freestylers. Phelps did the same thing in the 200 free at the Olympics. Any doubts I had in my mind about the value of the dolphin kick in sprint freestyle have been erased. That being said, not everyone can kick faster, just these two men. Should I go that far underwater in sprint freestyle, or anyone else? Either way, that type of performance is impossible without mobility in the ankles, which brings me back to the dryland element, improving the ankle flexibility. At some point, anyone that wants to improve the kick will need to work on ankle flexibility. Also, a few questions do come to mind: Are they really kicking faster, or are they just maintaining the momentum off the start? At what point does the start end, and then the kick produces the remaining propulsion? Or is it a combination of both? It would be good to see a Computer Fluid Dynamic video of this.
  • Former Member
    Excellent video! Personally, I tell my swimmers that there are only a few things that set true sprinters apart: reaction time, underwater efficiency, breakout momentum, turn speed and efficiency, and finish. This holds true especially in a short course pool. With regard to your question(s), my thoughts are that the underwater fly kicks start as soon as the peak speed for the start is reached in order to maintain as close to maximum speed as possible underwater. So, it is more so both...utilizing the momentum of the start, but also trying to maintain that speed from the start. With regard to the speed for the kick, I think they are kicking faster and more efficiently as well.
  • Former Member
    With regard to your question(s), my thoughts are that the underwater fly kicks start as soon as the peak speed for the start is reached in order to maintain as close to maximum speed as possible underwater. So, it is more so both...utilizing the momentum of the start, but also trying to maintain that speed from the start. Okay, fair enough, although, look at this picture... it is a clip taken from the 100 free WR video, right when Leveaux is breaking the surface. 1292 See how his feet break the surface first? This is unusual. I was trying to understand why, and after some contemplation, and comparing with video's of Phelps, I've come to the conclusion that they really go deeper with their torso, and dolphin that way, all the way to the surface... So when they actually break the surface the angle of their body/torso is still pitched downward, quite remarkably. I practiced this last night in work-out, and it does feel faster. I had previously thought (in my blind age-group years) that your feet shouldn't break the surface first, especially if your body angle is incorrect. However, this now seems to be unsubstantiated. Somehow, this new approach feels like my body gets into the right position for top speed swimming while simultaneously going through the surface. A surprising uplifting feeling occurs! That being said, I've been working extensively on the dolphin kick, so perhaps without an efficient dolphin, this wouldn't be possible.
  • Just another thing to think about J ... I'm definitely not doing this ... Here's a set my team did today on "stroke day" that I really enjoyed: 4 x through: 1 x 200 IM on 3:00 4 x 50 choice on :50 4 x 25 AFAP on :30 #1 fly #2 back #3 *** #4 free extra 30 seconds rest
  • 4 x through: 1 x 200 IM on 3:00 4 x 50 choice on :50 4 x 25 AFAP on :30 #1 fly #2 back #3 *** #4 free extra 30 seconds rest This looks yummy. I'm going to try (a version of) that. When I get back my vid of M. Phelps demonstrating fly, I'll also look for feet exiting water first. VB
  • Former Member
    This looks yummy. I'm going to try (a version of) that. When I get back my vid of M. Phelps demonstrating fly, I'll also look for feet exiting water first. VB As far as Phelps on fly, it would be good to see the underwater video, he does go really deep, although this picture is backstroke. 1303 Does anyone have underwater pictures/video of Phelps dolphin kick to freestlye transition? Or above water in slow-mode? That being said, I've watched the 100 free WR SCM a few times now, and it really looks like Leveaux is taking his first stroke cycle completely under water, while his feet breaks the surface with 4 or more beats!! That is quite different, and if you look closely it gives him a considerable advantage, every break-out. Now, traditionally in the break-out you pop up with your head and torso, but not Leveaux, he remains relatively flat on the horizontal plane and ultimately stays even with the bow-wave! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
  • Former Member
    Okay, fair enough, although, look at this picture... it is a clip taken from the 100 free WR video, right when Leveaux is breaking the surface. 1292 See how his feet break the surface first? This is unusual. I was trying to understand why, and after some contemplation, and comparing with video's of Phelps, I've come to the conclusion that they really go deeper with their torso, and dolphin that way, all the way to the surface... So when they actually break the surface the angle of their body/torso is still pitched downward, quite remarkably. I practiced this last night in work-out, and it does feel faster. I had previously thought (in my blind age-group years) that your feet shouldn't break the surface first, especially if your body angle is incorrect. However, this now seems to be unsubstantiated. Somehow, this new approach feels like my body gets into the right position for top speed swimming while simultaneously going through the surface. A surprising uplifting feeling occurs! That being said, I've been working extensively on the dolphin kick, so perhaps without an efficient dolphin, this wouldn't be possible. interesting observation but could it also be an illusion of sorts? the way the water flows around his body, hes got a bow wave at the front as expected but this and i guess the way the water would run down your back (in a slight arch) then create a kind of recirculating area which is lower...level wise...that the bow wave. and then at the feet you got the flow thats starting to fall in on the recirculating area. it could be that he's flat in the water, rising up uniformly rather than at an angle, its just that the bow wave at the front make it look like hes actually rising feet first.