Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • I'm increasing the number soon because I get to 1,000 now and feel like I can keep going for a while. If that's the case, then I'd suggest you experiment with different types of ab exercises. There are a ton of them out there. Your body has obviously acclimated to this one and increasing the quantity will have limited impact IMO. I think you'd get more "bang for your buck" by varying your routine.
  • Hey Leslie, What do you think of this work-out? SCM 4x(50 IM drill, 50 IM kick, 100 IM) 20 seconds rest 3x(3x100) 2 strong, 1 easy on 2:30 first 2 sets on strong from push. 58.3 58.8 59.1 59.4 3rd set with fins 55.4 54.73 600 DPS 400 dolphin on back with fins 2x200 diving to bottom and jumping dolphin 100 easy Hmmmm .... I just swam 3 x (3 x 100) yesterday with a slightly different spin ... after which I did 500 dolphin on back with MF ... and the day before I was dolphin diving. :) So with fins you're 4-5 seconds faster per 100? I think it's more like 10 seconds for me. I did this "kick" set yesterday, which was pretty fun. (I'm sure the inventor of this set will recognize it ... lol) 4 x 100 modified "power kick", 45 RI done as: - Push off on the opposite side of the starting blocks, kick 12 SDKs surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick) - at the first wall finish hands first and go immediately into a 10 second all out kick against the wall. - Stop, then grab the backstroke start bar and go into a back start, 10 SDKs then cruise backstroke - immediately start 3rd 25 doing forward "V" scull (on your back, feet out of the water looking toward the opposite side sculling) - At the final wall when your feet touch pull into the wall then explode with 12 SDKs into easy free with overkick to wall.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I have tried the exercises mentioned in your link. I like them, and I used to do them with my workout. I stopped doing them because I started just doing sit-ups at home, but in retrospect, it would be more beneficial to do those exercises rather than a large number of sit-ups. I like the sit-ups because they help with endurance, and they give me a nice six-pack, haha. I'm going to start incorporating those exercises into my workout though. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm curious as to why you call a 6-beat kick an "overkick".
  • Former Member
    If that's the case, then I'd suggest you experiment with different types of ab exercises. There are a ton of them out there. Your body has obviously acclimated to this one and increasing the quantity will have limited impact IMO. I think you'd get more "bang for your buck" by varying your routine. This is my thought as well. Try out some med ball exercises, oblique work, hyperextensions, etc. Again, kudos for being able to do that many, but throw some variation in there. Personally, I wouldn't be able to sit there that long and just do situps.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm curious as to why you call a 6-beat kick an "overkick". You mean Leslie's kick set? Not sure, let's see what she says... I'm thinking just an exaggerated kick... - Push off on the opposite side of the starting blocks, kick 12 SDKs surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick)
  • Former Member
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if overkick meant exaggerate the kick or if a 6-beat kick was overkicking. I'm assuming it's the former, but you never know.
  • Former Member
    I have pretty good abs. I wish my arms had that kind of endurance.
  • Former Member
    God bless ya! There is no way on this green earth that I would ever try to do this! I'm with you there Andy, my personal view is 1000 sit-ups is too many, especially when you're looking at a sub-30 breaststroke. However, some people really like working the abs... It's just that this motion turns into an aerobic activity after a certain number. I have pretty good abs. I wish my arms had that kind of endurance. Hey Mike, have you ever tried these type of ab exercises? forums.usms.org/showthread.php That being said, I might try 3-4 minutes with my feet anchored. This was the main set, which I wouldn't exactly call "fun" Hey Leslie, What do you think of this work-out? SCM 4x(50 IM drill, 50 IM kick, 100 IM) 20 seconds rest 3x(3x100) 2 strong, 1 easy on 2:30 first 2 sets on strong from push. 58.3 58.8 59.1 59.4 3rd set with fins 55.4 54.73 600 DPS 400 dolphin on back with fins 2x200 diving to bottom and jumping dolphin 100 easy
  • You mean Leslie's kick set? Not sure, let's see what she says... I'm thinking just an exaggerated kick... Just meant an exaggerated kick. This is a set Paul Smith posted on FB about a year ago. If you're cruising free, a 6-8 beat kick feels pretty exaggerated. It's a tough set if you do it right.
  • Former Member
    2x{ Jonathan, what is your area of focus when swimming DPS? I mean, apart from the obvious of trying to increase your distance per stroke. Are you focussing on the catch or body position? And at what kind of pace do you swim? I notice you never give times for DPS, only rest intervals. I ask because I never really know what to do for DPS sets and end up losing the count after the second lap (or is it length?) with the result that I don't seem to be getting any benefit out of these sets.