Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • hypochondriac Pot-kettle. Who is home whining and sniffling and engaging in pool avoidance, eh? Or perhaps you meant insomniac?
  • Pot-kettle. Who is home whining and sniffling and engaging in pool avoidance, eh? Or perhaps you meant insomniac? Whining? Riiiiiiiiiight.
  • Coached by Flyqueen this morning at Convention in the freestyle group. Main fast set was broken 200s: 200 broken at 50s, 20 seconds rest, 200 race pace 100 swim/drill/kick/swim recovery 200 broken fast: 100 (20 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 50 100 recovery as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 100 (20 sec) + 50 100 recover as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 100 100 recover as above 200 straight FAST 100 recover Tiring (and a little crowded) but fun!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    That set looks challenging... How was the convention? Anything positive? Coached by Flyqueen this morning at Convention in the freestyle group. Main fast set was broken 200s: 200 broken at 50s, 20 seconds rest, 200 race pace 100 swim/drill/kick/swim recovery 200 broken fast: 100 (20 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 50 100 recovery as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 100 (20 sec) + 50 100 recover as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 100 100 recover as above 200 straight FAST 100 recover Tiring (and a little crowded) but fun!
  • Coached by Flyqueen this morning at Convention in the freestyle group. Main fast set was broken 200s: 200 broken at 50s, 20 seconds rest, 200 race pace 100 swim/drill/kick/swim recovery 200 broken fast: 100 (20 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 50 100 recovery as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 100 (20 sec) + 50 100 recover as above 200 broken fast: 50 (15 sec) + 50 (15 sec) + 100 100 recover as above 200 straight FAST 100 recover Tiring (and a little crowded) but fun! Chris did a great job - fantastic swimmer and guy! I was coaching, but I must give Chris Campbell of Mountain View Masters all the credit for thinking up the workout!
  • How was the convention? Anything positive? Sure...check out some of the GSR threads. Glad we could finally quiet those Pacific folk down about championship scoring. :) Sundays I often have to swim alone and so I often work on things I feel I don't do enough of during the week. This year it is (a) quality hypoxic kicking (longer than 25s) and (b) using the drag suit. Yesterday's practice was (SCY): 500 WU 5 x 200 pull (buoy and paddles) on 2:30. Object was to cruise with long strokes and alternate breathing, working in zone 2, ie, at a pace I could sustain for a long time. (Wanted to do 8 but didn't have time). 8 x 75s hypoxic backstroke kick on 1:30. On these kicking sets I go for intervals of 30 sec for every 25, which gives me an approximate duty factor of 50% (ie, about as much rest as swim). In this case I went for 16 SDKs underwater off each wall -- that's the hypoxic part. (Which was made more difficult yesterday by the fact that I was still recovering from the Sat night convention party...) 18 x 25 with parachute, rotating fly/back/free, on 0:50 -- I use the Kytec chute with the hole as small as possible (max resistance), though the drawstring usually "slips open" a little. Tough set, takes 20-25 seconds to do a 25. Beyond building swim-specific strength, what I like about the resistence chute is that it allows you to identify, and work on, "dead spots" in your stroke. Warm down.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Chris did a great job - fantastic swimmer and guy! I was coaching, but I must give Chris Campbell of Mountain View Masters all the credit for thinking up the workout! That's nice to give him credit for thinking of the work-out. When I first posted training idea's and work-outs on this forum the intention was to share what has worked for me. It seems that if a person doesn't care about taking credit then more people tend to gain benefit from the idea. Most people know how important kicking is in top speed swimming, yet improving ankle flexibility doesn't always come easy. That's why biking with the toes pointed is a useful aid, essentially warming up the ankles before doing the stretch.
  • When I first posted training idea's and work-outs on this forum the intention was to share what has worked for me. Hey Jonathan, just to be clear: I am not trying to butt in on your thread :), I just would rather add occasional workouts/ideas to a pre-existing thread (and have it all in one place) rather than start a new one.
  • There are not many original ideas when it comes to workouts. Most workouts posted here are plagiarized. I might add most workouts posted anywhere by anybody are plagiarized Now Jonathon I mean on the whole site. George, does this add anything to the thread? I appreciate people posting their workouts. Is the parachute hard on the shoulders, Chris?
  • Is the parachute hard on the shoulders, Chris? I don't find it so, but then again I don't have shoulder problems (knock on wood). I think paddles are much worse. Although I don't have shoulder problems, I do get pain in my fore-arms near the elbow (right at that bump on the inner elbow). Paddles and weights definitely can make that pain worse, but the chute doesn't appear to do so. No fun getting older, is it? The chute does have a drawstring that allows you to adjust the size of the hole and so change the amount of resistance. I can bring it up to the GMUP meet for you to try. Speaking of shoulder problems: Jim Miller gave a talk at Convention on stretches that are bad for shoulders and it was interesting. Pretty much every stretch he listed was one that I use -- and that are also in widespread use by swimmers at every meet I attend. (Phelps' little routine on the blocks before the race? A big no-no for shoulder health.) Something else that was news to me was that certain prescription drugs can lead to shoulder problems by interfering with the recovery process. The implication is that shoulder problems can be caused, or worsened, when some of the small stabilizing muscles become too fatigued. (The bad news for me is that I am currently on a drug that can have this effect. Oh, well!)