Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    It is way too much work for me. My comment is not that your workouts are not good they just are not what I would call fun. It's unfortunate to read you think that. Although from the other posts you've written I've come to realize that you have an abundance of experience in swimming, and I was wondering which sets in the pool you consider to be worthwhile?
  • Former Member
    Alex, let me know how that goes. That approach could be an interesting way to do stroke analysis. well failing that, im sure that it can probably done if the guy with the camera dons some fins and just follows me down the pool, looking up at me .... it'll be just like the tracking cameras they use that ride on a rail.
  • Former Member
    J I just do not think your workouts are Fun, and Fast. Mainly not fun to me. It's unfortunate to read you think that. Although from the other posts you've written I've come to realize that you have an abundance of experience in swimming, and I was wondering which sets in the pool you consider to be worthwhile?
  • Former Member
    Was that SCM? Yes, SCM. Here's one of my own sets for the 200: 6 x 200 @ 3:30. 1, 3 and 5 HARD. 2, 4, 6 Recovery. Descend 1- 3. Did this yesterday, but only managed 2:28, 2:25 and 2:16 on 1 - 3 respectively. My arms were aching from getting back into the gym on Wednesday after a month layoff. Will take today off and start again tomorrow.
  • Former Member
    You took a month off? Usually I adjust the program to get back into shape. Sorry, I should have been clearer on that: I meant a month off from the gym. It was after I fell and got water on the elbow. Doctor naturally advised me to stay off the weights. I was only out of the water for two weeks. Wednesday was the first time in a month that I had lifted weights so my muscles were aching on Thursday. That delayed soreness reaction. In fact, I usually feel the worst on the second day after a heavy session in the gym. I wish I had the time to do doubles like you describe but, unfortunately, I don't. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week or sometimes I will go for spells when I go every other day but never two days consecutively. Thanks for your advice.
  • Former Member
    I wish I had the time to do doubles like you describe but, unfortunately, I don't. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week or sometimes I will go for spells when I go every other day but never two days consecutively. Ya, me too... I usually stay in phase 1, sometimes phase 2, just for long-term maintenance. I only go into phase 3 or 4 a couple months before a competition, that means once a year, or sometimes once every two years depending on my schedule.
  • Former Member
    George, Well you can always improvise the sets to meet your goals. Reduce the distance, take more rest, whatever you want. Either way, some of the sets are really fun, and some of the sets are really difficult. It's just when I compare these sets to the ones I did in my age-group years I find this program to be more effective for long-term maintenance, and much easier in comparison. It is way too much work for me. My comment is not that your workouts are not good they just are not what I would call fun.
  • Former Member
    Yes, SCM. Here's one of my own sets for the 200: 6 x 200 @ 3:30. 1, 3 and 5 HARD. 2, 4, 6 Recovery. Descend 1- 3. Did this yesterday, but only managed 2:28, 2:25 and 2:16 on 1 - 3 respectively. My arms were aching from getting back into the gym on Wednesday after a month layoff. Will take today off and start again tomorrow. These are good training times, you're a very accomplished swimmer. You took a month off? Usually I adjust the program to get back into shape. For example, at the start either do a few weeks of swimming only, or dryland only, just to build up your body, and then alternate, swim/dryland days. After a month or two, try the doubles, morning dryland (mostly core and stretching, not too heavy and alternate muscle groups by day), swimming at night. Once you're able to maintain that, then alternate dryland mornings heavy weights on day one, light weights max rep on day two, repeat. Swimming at night, at least some sprint endurance every work-out, can also alternate days, DPS and legs one day, and top speed the next. If you really want to tweak it, do heavy dryland in the morning, DPS and legs at night. The next day light dryland and core routine and top speed sprint endurance at night. Alternate like this for 3-4 months and rest 5-7 days before a competition... This can also be done the opposite, swimming in the morning, dryland at night. Although I've found that swimming at night helps the recovery. If you do this properly, and build into it, the fatigue you'll experience will be minimal. Also, I read about you wanting to decrease stroke count in your 50... You'll have to train for that... count strokes and bring down the total number in the coming months. That takes focus and consistent effort, but you can do it.
  • Former Member
    SCM (all these pace times can be adjusted for ability) 3x200 on 3:30 cruise 6x100 on 1:30 just make time 2x200 on 3:00 relax 2 min rest 4x100 on 1:20 hold pace 200 on 2:30 strong 2x100 on 1:10 hold pace 3x200 on 4:00 easy dps 6x100 on 2:00 descend 1-6, extra rest before Fast one 200 easy
  • Former Member
    not a full set because the guy who writes sets for our "dosser/drop out" squad (the only squad i can go in on a night due to space and not being a full on competitive swimming member of the club anymore) is a complete bore and his sets are as exciting as they are structured. (ie theyre not at all structured, he just writes what pops into his head or leaves what the previous squad did up on the board) anyway he put this up, which at first i thought was a bit....well.... not very well thought out. but when i found out that he meant best effort and not max pace it seemed to fit better. anyway here it is, nice little set piece i thought, and i enjoyed it. 30x25m on 30 sec 5 recovery, 1 sprint (100% effort) 4 rec, 2 sprint 3 rec, 3 sprint 2 rec, 4 sprint 1 rec, 5 sprint man, 5 lengths max on 30 really did me in by the end, but it was enjoyable. especially since i used to really concentrate on my stroke at speed...my stroke is good at low speed when i can think about it but at speed it seems to flatten out which isnt good.... i realised i wasnt rotating enough, my left elbow would actually bend down at the fully extended position, so i worked on it and got it sorted. now it feels like im moving through the water better, instead of feeling like im trying to push it out the way. need to work on my head position abit, i have a tendancy to bring up a little, especially aproaching walls. i also realised that, with my hand pull, i shouldnt be deliberately moving my hand beneath my opposite arm pit, to get that high elbow position and forearm dominant stroke.... instead i should be rotating my body, taking the armpit toward the hand more, keeping the hand just shy of the center line of my body. now it all makes sense, it all flows better, and when i get the rhythm right in the sprint it feels like i have a lot of power there. also with this greater rolling of the body, my reach is better and im getting the elbow position right as well