Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    That looks like a good work-out... Its only my 3rd week back but here is what I did last night (SCY): Warmup: 600 swim 200 kick 400 pull 200 drill 10 x 50 kick fins (85-90%) :30 rest 8x75 :30 rest (1) Fly-back-*** (1) Back-***-free (1) ***-free-fly (1) kick on right side-kick on left side-back streamline kick REPEAT 8x50 free :20 seconds rest (1) 5 breaths (1) 4 breaths (1) 3 breaths (1) 2 breaths REPEAT 100 cool down _______________________ 3000 yards, about 1:05-1:10 (hour and 5 minutes to hour and 10 minutes)
  • Former Member
    Jason Lezak has a great weight training program, here is the link, and a sample. Notice the increasing repetitions throughout the month. www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm Exercise Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Incline Hammer Strength Chest Press 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Standing Pull Downs 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Narrow Grip Seated Row 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Seated Shoulder Raises 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 One Arm Standing Tricep Press 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Seated One Arm Curls 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Step Ups 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Seated Quad Extensions 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Hamstring Curls 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Seated Independent Calf Press 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Seated Leg Press 3x12 3x15 3x20 3x25 Is the one i use. Not near to the competition, in that period i use 10x... on 40% very quick.
  • Former Member
    Jeff, or Lumpy?! How did they pick that as a nickname? I read your post forums.usms.org/showthread.php and that's good you're back in the water. You know, I write here to share what I've learned about swimming, and there are certainly many faster swimmers in the world, but that doesn't really limit my personal enjoyment of the sport. There are even more people than that who want to improve and maintain a good degree of health, and that's what motivates me to write. Finding a solution to a range of motion limitation is an art like anything else, and you don't have to be a world class athlete to find benefit from exercise. Yet, when you improve, that enjoyment, that feeling you get from doing well is truly Olympic, and it is available for everyone. Its only my 3rd week back
  • Former Member
    Jeff, or Lumpy?! How did they pick that as a nickname? I read your post forums.usms.org/showthread.php and that's good you're back in the water. You know, I write here to share what I've learned about swimming, and there are certainly many faster swimmers in the world, but that doesn't really limit my personal enjoyment of the sport. There are even more people than that who want to improve and maintain a good degree of health, and that's what motivates me to write. Finding a solution to a range of motion limitation is an art like anything else, and you don't have to be a world class athlete to find benefit from exercise. Yet, when you improve, that enjoyment, that feeling you get from doing well is truly Olympic, and it is available for everyone. Either name is fine. Lump refers to "Lumpy Rutherford" from "Leave it to Beaver". It was kind of a back handed nickname one of the guys on the team gave me when I was a teenager. Even though I was a national level swimmer I always had a bit of a "spare" around the middle....genetics, can't help it. So it stuck...Lumpy, then "lump" for short. Haven't been called that in years, but since I'm getting back into a former life I figured why not use it!? :D Right now I'm just looking at swimming as a way to get back into better shape, get out of the gym, reshape my body (again), THEN later on worry about the real competitive part of it. I'm a ways from there yet. And while I "used" to be a high caliber swimmer, I don't carry a chip or anything like that and I don't put myself on a pedistal (for sure). So anyway, I'm open to questions, training techniques, tips, etc.....I even have several log books full of all my workouts from college along with comments on what times I did in practice, how I felt, etc. They are mostly 8k-15K LCM in length...I BIT too much right now!:D I'll post up my workout from last night in the training section. Jeff aka. "Lump"
  • Former Member
    Ya, you'll have to modify your work-outs for long term training maintenance. Either way, I look forward to reading your progress. Enjoy, and good luck! So anyway, I'm open to questions, training techniques, tips, etc.....I even have several log books full of all my workouts from college along with comments on what times I did in practice, how I felt, etc. Jeff aka. "Lump"
  • Former Member
    Well, the summer vacation is over, and I'm quite happy to be swimming in a regular pool again. As enjoyable as open water can be, it really doesn't help technique for the 100-200 distances. Although, an open water race once a year during the summer, might be fun. It took 2000 meters to stop the (sea-arms?), before I started to feel the usual flow patterns in the pool. The streamlining during top speed was nothing short of nostalgic. 10x200 on 3:30 6x25 on 1:00, Strong 200 easy
  • Former Member
    In all my years of swimming I've never done a competitive open water swim. I really want to start doing some. Probably not my main competitions but maybe a couple a year. I start looking in the Spring...as long as I stick with it.
  • Former Member
    Apparently, computer modeling shows that 90% of the power in the dolphin kick comes from the feet. www.npr.org/.../s...oryId=93575235 That's great news if you already have flexible feet. Although, can your dolphin kick be improved if flexibility is a limitation? Yes, and it's not that difficult, just 8 minutes plus 3x20 seconds, 3 times a week. forums.usms.org/showthread.php ~~~~~~~~*>o^~~~~~~
  • Former Member
    Give it a try, it should be a good experience, most people that race open water seem to really enjoy it. In all my years of swimming I've never done a competitive open water swim. I really want to start doing some. Probably not my main competitions but maybe a couple a year. I start looking in the Spring...as long as I stick with it.
  • I'm not a fan of vertical kicking I've done some I believe sprint kicking distances for time is much more useful stuff like 8 x 25 on :45 3 easy 1 fast or 8 x 50 on 1:00 desc 1 - 4 or 8 x 100 on 2:00 desc 1 - 4 the whole point is there comes a time when you're kicking a set distance as fast as you can holding nothing back and when you're done you have a time to compare previous kicks to You can also do "vertical kicking" to train kicking and flexiblility. It doesn't add yardage to your workout but still can kick your ass. Get some weights from 5 lbs up to 25 lb plates and have fun. You can switch it up with fins (use alot more weight), hands out of the water, bricks in the hands, etc. Basically its like water polo training. Its a good switch and break up of a workout.:applaud: