Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Today I did 75 breath-control freestyle with fins. This is overshooting the time and distance of my focus races. My time was :33 and I took 0/2/3 breaths by length for a total of 5 breaths. Swam this again yesterday, and did the same time (:33) with 0/1/1 breaths by length. That's more like what I wanted.
  • Former Member
    That's impressive Brian... Using personal innovation increases your accountability during the training cycle, and that ultimately empowers you to perform better. Swam this again yesterday, and did the same time (:33) with 0/1/1 breaths by length. That's more like what I wanted.
  • Former Member
    No problem, that's great, I'm glad you liked it! Thanks Anna and Jonathan. Interesting website! JIM
  • Former Member
    How did the set go...? Did you like it? I did this set today, minus the breaststroke. I'm going to Paul's workout soon too. Thanks for posting guys.
  • Former Member
    I've been working quite extensively on the back to *** turn, and it just so happens that I've figured out a way to understand it, and that seems to have really helped my IM. (finally) A good way to think about it is, when you do the hand touch on the backstroke, imagine you are finishing a race. You know how that last stroke you lunge back towards the touchpad? Do the same thing, and actually lean back and touch the wall, just like you would on the finish of a race. You can even make a quick visual cue right where your hand touches, that throws your head (and weight) off the center of balance. (Sievinen does this!) www.youtube.com/watch That sets your body up for the next phase, all that backward motion needs to continue somehow... The next part is to have the over-the-top spin, but instead of flipping straight back, try and pick a side (depending on which hand you touch with) and flip slighty sideways, not straight back. This will become easier, and sets you up for the breastroke pull-out. The way I think about it is, as you throw your head back and watch your hand tocuh the wall, you are pivoting your hips, and using your hand and arm to "spin" your legs to either the right or left... Although, your legs do come up and slightly over, it feels more like spinning. Just imagine your knees coming to the surface and the feet leaning left or right on axis, as your body tucks underneath. Practice it first without the wall, just to get the feel of the water moving past your body while flipping and spinning backwards... Do this many times, until that feels natural, and then just add the wall. Persistence is the key, but you should have that "ah-ha" moment eventually. After that, it's just a matter of tweaking the motion. Also, I personally think this mini-routine has been very effective to help improve the turns... Check it out. forums.usms.org/showpost.php
  • Former Member
    Did not see too much analytical in that statement. I think I read possibly 2 things that were possibly analytical. I think it was a compliment on your good swim. I will make one critique on your dive. I did not like the way your feet were set up on the starting block,your heels were in and your feet pointed out. You would get more power on the dive if the toes were slightly pointed in. I call what you did a flat footed position. Oh, I thought this critique was useful. "100m: Start: 8/10-Excellent breakouts!! 10/10.Streamline was very tight off all three walls with a good power onto the surface of water. May look to hold breathe a little longer if you are not able to keep your stroke count high enough to take advantage of your first 6 strokes off the wall. I liked the guys start to the right of you @ the very end he did a little bump in the air. I believe with your size that could equate to more time in air, thus reduced time @ the finish. Your arms look awesome on the finish/entry/recovery phase of the stroke. Kick looks like it is swaying from side to side with excellent power but I wonder if a straight 6 beat kick may help with DPS? However still has a lot of power in it: 8/10! You may want to ask Rich he probably would have more things to say than I would. Great time and awesome physicque and desire to win. Keep it up." ~Brockman~
  • Former Member
    Okay sir, I respect your experience and years of knowledge in the sport of swimming. Although, I personally found value in my friend's critique as he has known about my idiosyncrasies for a long time now. As far as the video, I'm quite happy with it, and we can agree to disagree, but please, let's not be disagreeable. Did not see too much analytical in that statement.
  • Former Member
    It is a good video of a good swimming race from the stands. I have trouble down loading it from flocast to my video files so I can put it into my analysis program. If I could get it from youtube I could download it to my video files. Then slow everthing down to stromotion and stop sequences. Did you see what I mentioned about your foot position on your dive? The fellow on your left had a great dive, yours was a very good dive but as Brockman said 8/10. You are a very good swimmer but I want to get into the nitty/gritty. That is why I would like to see the close up views I mentioned to see if anything could be changed for the better. That does not mean there would be anything to change, you are a very good swimmer. Okay sir, I respect your experience and years of knowledge in the sport of swimming. Although, I personally found value in my friend's critique as he has known about my idiosyncrasies for a long time now. As far as the video, I'm quite happy with it, and we can agree to disagree, but please, let's not be disagreeable.
  • Former Member
    I think you would be barred from that swim camp wearing that swim suit. You don't look too bulky there. Are you sure that foto is not doctered. What's all this talk about being bulky and needing to lower my body fat %? When I was on the blocks for that race I was relaxed, my tummy might have been a little pushed out, but that has nothing to do with core strength. forums.usms.org/showpost.php Here is a recent picture. 1003 Out in a 25 low and back in 26 mid - very controlled swim - kept the stroke rate 16 to 18. Your second turn, I thought could have been quicker. The camera always makes you look bigger - what is your body fat % - if it is high - leaning out would have its advantages.. . " www.swimordie.ca ~Doug~
  • Former Member
    Here's an interesting view on appropriate and inappropriate shoulder stretches. Coach T. aprilpoolsday.com/.../Shoulder Stretch Convention 2007 092307 [Compatibility Mode].pdf