Backstroke finish

I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight! Many of the fastest backstrokers have developed a 3 peak stroke in the past couple of decades. The majority of us old schoolers are doing a single upsweep and then a strong downsweep. Palm faces down at the end of the stroke. But as you noticed on YouTube...there's something new at work. The motion is... upsweep downsweep upsweep. Palm facing the hip on the 2nd upsweep...but more often it's facing up. In a 3 peak stroke...the idea is to get one more swish of propulsion as the hand and arm are exiting the water. In this clip... watch the swimmer in the black jammers next to Lenny. A typical 3 peak stoke at work. His hand is getting one final push on the water while it's exiting. www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I have been watching some underwater footage of fast backstrokers, and I noticed that most seem to finish each underwater arm stroke with their palm facing their leg. I think I finish with mine facing the bottom of the pool. Is this a sign of a stroke flaw or is it just a quirk? Thanks for any insight! Many of the fastest backstrokers have developed a 3 peak stroke in the past couple of decades. The majority of us old schoolers are doing a single upsweep and then a strong downsweep. Palm faces down at the end of the stroke. But as you noticed on YouTube...there's something new at work. The motion is... upsweep downsweep upsweep. Palm facing the hip on the 2nd upsweep...but more often it's facing up. In a 3 peak stroke...the idea is to get one more swish of propulsion as the hand and arm are exiting the water. In this clip... watch the swimmer in the black jammers next to Lenny. A typical 3 peak stoke at work. His hand is getting one final push on the water while it's exiting. www.youtube.com/watch
Children
No Data