Running out of gas....

Good morning all, and happy swimming.

I am a 64 year old distance swimmer, and I typically use flip turns during my freestyle, but I run out of gas after about 300 yards.  At times, I literally feel I am going to pass out.  When I revert to open arm turns, I have no problem completing 500 or 1000 yards.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I want to be able to maintain a decent speed throughout my events, but I also want to survive them!  Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Parents
  • That totally describes me as well.  I'm a 68 year old here who started masters swimming one year ago.  A couple of things I've been focusing on 1) improve my flip turn technique.  If I tumble too slow and extend my legs too late, it takes more energy and I spend more time under water.   Try this set to make your turns "efficient".   Do 12x50 starting mid pool doing two turn 50s with 5 to 10 seconds between each 50.    I've collected several good coaching tips on flip turns including arm positioning when starting the tumble,  extending my legs to meet the wall with feet apart, looking up (not at my feet) and finally bringing my arms to the streamline position as part of the process so they are already in place when I push off.    When I do it right,  I don't feel any urgency to breath at breakout which is probably what you feel after a few hundred.   Still a work in progress here too :-)

• That totally describes me as well.  I'm a 68 year old here who started masters swimming one year ago.  A couple of things I've been focusing on 1) improve my flip turn technique.  If I tumble too slow and extend my legs too late, it takes more energy and I spend more time under water.   Try this set to make your turns "efficient".   Do 12x50 starting mid pool doing two turn 50s with 5 to 10 seconds between each 50.    I've collected several good coaching tips on flip turns including arm positioning when starting the tumble,  extending my legs to meet the wall with feet apart, looking up (not at my feet) and finally bringing my arms to the streamline position as part of the process so they are already in place when I push off.    When I do it right,  I don't feel any urgency to breath at breakout which is probably what you feel after a few hundred.   Still a work in progress here too :-)

Children
No Data