Running out of gas....

Good morning all, and happy swimming.

I am a 64 year old distance swimmer, and I typically use flip turns during my freestyle, but I run out of gas after about 300 yards.  At times, I literally feel I am going to pass out.  When I revert to open arm turns, I have no problem completing 500 or 1000 yards.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I want to be able to maintain a decent speed throughout my events, but I also want to survive them!  Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Parents
  • It depends what your goals are. Flip turns are not a requirement and can sometimes be slower because of the complex movement or breath control. I would keep trying them and work on your breathing in and out of the wall as as as just practicing not letting too much air our during the flip. If doing open turns remains faster and more efficient, just do those. 

• It depends what your goals are. Flip turns are not a requirement and can sometimes be slower because of the complex movement or breath control. I would keep trying them and work on your breathing in and out of the wall as as as just practicing not letting too much air our during the flip. If doing open turns remains faster and more efficient, just do those. 

Children