Returning to swimming stagnant on speed

A few years back I was big into discussions on this forum.  Forum usage seems to have slowed down a lot but I'll give it a shot anyway.  I'm about 4 months back in the pool.  In 2015 I was holding sub 1:10's per 100 for a 60 minute timed swim.  From 2016-2019 I swam periodically with no focus.  From Dec 2019-April 2020 I had focus back and getting back down to that 1:10 per 100yd pace then COVID shut everything down.  4-5 months ago I started to put the time in again because I can't run anymore.  I am fricken' stuck!!  I am struggling to pace 1:15.  I can pace 1:17's for a 12x500 long set but if I do 10 x 100  on 1:30 I will die trying to stay below 1:15.  I have been struggling with this for about 8 weeks.  I did have covid back in dec 2020 and was pretty sick for a few weeks and then really struggled with cardio for months.  Now I have the awesome experience of a pretty serious anxiety attack during warmup if I start out too fast.  I am curious if anyone else has experienced this, not so much the anxiety but the major plateau.   I am swimming 3-4x a week, 3000-4500 on most day with a paced endurance day of 6500+ .  I am a life long endurance swimmer and love open water racing (not training).  I am a 46 yo male so I know age has it's hurdles but hell.... not this much right?  I am starting a new block of monday-Sat  as m-Swim, t-swim, w-lift, th-swim, fr-swim, s-lift.   

Is anyone else dealing with this? Any help would be appreciated.  

Parents
  • Cmonster,  although I am  quite a bit older than you, I am a lifelong endurance swimmer who averaged over 1 million years a year for than 50 years until covid ended that streak.  At your age, I was doing the same pacing and occasional mega sets like 100 x 200 on 3:00 (coming in at 2:25.

Post covid, my struggle is the same as you describe.  While my anemia might contribute, I think my VO2 max was significantly affected by the lack of intense exercise for 15 months.  I don't feel any chest pressure, so don't think this is a cardiac issue.  I just get out of breath after doing a 100 coming in at 1:30 unless I do open turns.  Need 25-30 seconds to recovery enough to go again.  Disappointed

My suggestions - give it more time because 8 weeks in not a long time at your age, maybe check your iron and hemoglobin levels.  Besides a loss of VO2 max, your lactic acid tolerance probably took a big hit, so you might have to do some longer rest, higher intensity sets to regain some threshold capacity.

Yes, it sucks and very frustrating.

Good luck.

Paul

• Thanks, I was thinking some vo2 work was on the horizon too.  My bike vo2 is fine, actually better than before covid but I stopped cycling about 8 weeks ago because my knee pain was relentless.  Obviously my running days are gone.  I am a candidate for knee replacements but my insurance company would rather I become an opioid addict first...  I don't take pankillers so I have to cut back on the bike.   Maybe if i add it back in some it will help along with the vo2 in the pool.  Bloodwork on everything else is normal.     

I get that same feeling where i need more rest between sets.  If I try to push it I get to the point where i feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen.  At least I'm not crazy.  

• First -  if you want info (or just chat), I had my knee replaced 17 months ago (bone on bone).  I did alot of research before and after.  Glad to share.  I used to bicycle alot, but gave it up due to pain.  Post TKA, I can bike without issues (in or out of the saddle).  Regardless of your leg strength though, the procedure does a number on all the muscles of the leg, so focused and extensive rehab is critical.

Your comment about bike VO2 being ok begs another comment/question - are you exhaling as completely when swimming as you do on the bike?  After Covid (AC) and KTA, my exhaling has been shallow (laziness) compared to BC when I was forcefully exhaling from the diaphragm.  This leads to a build up of CO2 which is the trigger for breathing.  For the past 4-5 weeks, I have concentrated on making forceful and deep exhaling a habit again and think it is helping.

Paul

• I'll focus a little more on my breathing tonight.  When I was competing regularly in open water I would breath almost every stroke but that was part of my rhythm and sighting.  Now I breathe almost every stroke because I just don't feel like i'm getting enough air.  Just a thought, i may take a look at blood ox saturation while I swim.  During covid it dropped a little, like 92-95% which isn't alarming.  

Although I am a candidate for knee replacement my insurance won't cover it.  If it's not going to get me running again I'll stick with pain management for as long as possible.  I already had cadaver bone with good cartilage implanted but it only lasted 2.5 years and I still couldn't run.  I can ride at a lower intensity forever without pain but once I'm closer to 300w I think the higher stress on the joint has too much of a cumulative effect.  but that's the spot that builds my vo2 so it's a catch 22.    

Like I said I'll pay more attention in the pool tonight.  This week is kind of looking like it's only going to be a 3 swim (13k) week unless I can magically motivate on a Friday morning of a 3 day weekend.   

• I'll focus a little more on my breathing tonight.  When I was competing regularly in open water I would breath almost every stroke but that was part of my rhythm and sighting.  Now I breathe almost every stroke because I just don't feel like i'm getting enough air.  Just a thought, i may take a look at blood ox saturation while I swim.  During covid it dropped a little, like 92-95% which isn't alarming.  

Although I am a candidate for knee replacement my insurance won't cover it.  If it's not going to get me running again I'll stick with pain management for as long as possible.  I already had cadaver bone with good cartilage implanted but it only lasted 2.5 years and I still couldn't run.  I can ride at a lower intensity forever without pain but once I'm closer to 300w I think the higher stress on the joint has too much of a cumulative effect.  but that's the spot that builds my vo2 so it's a catch 22.    

Like I said I'll pay more attention in the pool tonight.  This week is kind of looking like it's only going to be a 3 swim (13k) week unless I can magically motivate on a Friday morning of a 3 day weekend.   

Children
No Data