Goggles strap: Outside your swimcap, or inside?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been told that "real swimmers" strap inside. Yet, looking at images of world class swimmers in action, I see many strap outside. Discuss.
Parents
  • If I only looked badass bald like Telly Savalas, I'd go bald and then never have to worry about a cap! Ha! Nobody knows who Telly Savalas is anymore. 70s and 80s references, I have found are lost on everyone...I feel so all alone:sad: Back to the question: I prefer outside (or no cap as I overheat in distance easily) in a pool (but Patrick is right--inside is more aero). I find when I need to adjust them or clean the fog off before racing, if they are under, they don't sit right and I need to do everything over again (take off cap, put goggles on, then replace cap) I learned the hard way that inside is the way to go for open water. During the Inaugural IM Arizona 2005 a guy from the start pulled my leg and elbowed my goggles off my head. I frantically searched for them as 2500 people began to swim over the top of me...to no avail. I swam 2.4 miles in pseudomonas-laden Tempe town lake without goggles. I still was 2nd out of the water (bested by the great Mike Melley). I was also partially blind the next 3-5 days and had to bike 112 miles and run/shuffle 26 miles squinting. Athletic Darwinism at it's finest and really the birth of my disdain for many triathletes.
  • If I only looked badass bald like Telly Savalas, I'd go bald and then never have to worry about a cap! Ha! Nobody knows who Telly Savalas is anymore. 70s and 80s references, I have found are lost on everyone...I feel so all alone:sad: Back to the question: I prefer outside (or no cap as I overheat in distance easily) in a pool (but Patrick is right--inside is more aero). I find when I need to adjust them or clean the fog off before racing, if they are under, they don't sit right and I need to do everything over again (take off cap, put goggles on, then replace cap) I learned the hard way that inside is the way to go for open water. During the Inaugural IM Arizona 2005 a guy from the start pulled my leg and elbowed my goggles off my head. I frantically searched for them as 2500 people began to swim over the top of me...to no avail. I swam 2.4 miles in pseudomonas-laden Tempe town lake without goggles. I still was 2nd out of the water (bested by the great Mike Melley). I was also partially blind the next 3-5 days and had to bike 112 miles and run/shuffle 26 miles squinting. Athletic Darwinism at it's finest and really the birth of my disdain for many triathletes.
Children
No Data