freestyle arm position and catch

Two questions: When maintaining a high elbow at catch, and when I've been dropping my elbow previously, am I right to assume that feeling the muscle opposite the bicep (back of upper arm) working more at catch and pull is a sign the catch position is better? Also, I've seen many references to "reaching over a barrel" in freestyle. Does this describe the arm above the water, under the water, or both? Thanks
Parents
  • Think that your finger tips as they enter the water are going around and sliding down the far side of barrel (or a big ball) and then when your arm is round it, you're throwing the barrel back as you pull. Your shoulder has to rotate for the hand and arm to go over the barrel and your elbow stay high. I was going to mention Janet Evans straight arm stroke too; she is very much an exception to the rule. There are good explanations of stroke techniques on Gary Hall's Race Club website I think in the Aqua Notes section. At one point in time there was an article describing and contrasting the straight arm, bent arm, and hybrid stroke techniques. You can use both depending on the situation.
  • Think that your finger tips as they enter the water are going around and sliding down the far side of barrel (or a big ball) and then when your arm is round it, you're throwing the barrel back as you pull. Your shoulder has to rotate for the hand and arm to go over the barrel and your elbow stay high. I was going to mention Janet Evans straight arm stroke too; she is very much an exception to the rule. There are good explanations of stroke techniques on Gary Hall's Race Club website I think in the Aqua Notes section. At one point in time there was an article describing and contrasting the straight arm, bent arm, and hybrid stroke techniques. You can use both depending on the situation.
Children
No Data