200m Pacing: Even? Positive Split?

Former Member
Former Member
I have read various swimming books that tout even-pacing for 200m as the best way to go. So, using my very modest goals as an example, if I want to swim 3:04, I should aim to do 46sec every 50m. (Diving in would likely make the first 50m faster, but let's assume that I am pushing off for this discussion.) But I'm beginning to wonder if something like 44.5 - 45.5 - 46.5 - 47.5 = 3:04 is the better way for me to get to 3:04. In running, the 800m is typically performed in a positive-split fashion, due to energy requirements for the event. A 2:00 runner (hey, that was me!!) would likely do 58.5 - 61.5 halves. Rather than kicking the last 200m, you would basically try to hang on, or minimize the fade. I sense that the 200m swim should have the same characteristics. At the WR level, the duration is close to 800m running. (I suppose that if I was able to examine the 50m splits on various elite 200m swims, I would have the answer to this, but I haven't been able to dig this information up yet.) Anyway....I've been stuck at 3:05 for 3 weeks in a row, utilizing quite even splits. On my 3:04 (or 3:03?) attempt tomorrow, I'm aiming to do the positive split. It's not "sexy" to be "just trying to hang on" on the last 50m, but I am wondering if this is the way to a faster 200m. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • I've heard the term, "controlled sprint," used, and I agree with that. Yeah, the point I was trying to make earlier was that the 200 has moved out of the "controlled sprint" genre (at elite levels). It is now a sprint. And the better your underwaters, the better chance you have to shorten the race down to ~110-120 yards of on top of the water sprinting. The "controlled sprint" now is the 500. Out too slow and you don't have enough pool to make up the difference. Out too fast and its just enough swimming that you can live to regret it. Or you can just haul ass for the first 250 yards, flip at 2:00, 4 seconds under American record pace, then hang on for dear life and win by the skin of your teeth, a la Townley Hass at 2019 NCAAs!
  • I've heard the term, "controlled sprint," used, and I agree with that. Yeah, the point I was trying to make earlier was that the 200 has moved out of the "controlled sprint" genre (at elite levels). It is now a sprint. And the better your underwaters, the better chance you have to shorten the race down to ~110-120 yards of on top of the water sprinting. The "controlled sprint" now is the 500. Out too slow and you don't have enough pool to make up the difference. Out too fast and its just enough swimming that you can live to regret it. Or you can just haul ass for the first 250 yards, flip at 2:00, 4 seconds under American record pace, then hang on for dear life and win by the skin of your teeth, a la Townley Hass at 2019 NCAAs!
Children
No Data