What is your typical warmup for a session or a race?

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :)
  • most meets won't let you use fins, paddles, snorkels, etc. banned by USMS rules. not only have i told people to get rid of them, i've also told them the tape (on shoulders, arms, legs) is also illegal in competition.
  • OP, your warmup should reflect a portion of what you have been doing to prepare for the meet in your workouts. ie you dont warmup 3000 if your workout is only 2000. you also dont do nothing either! and if it is a multiday meet - ie pan am or worlds you may change what you do as the meet goes along lots of great suggestions though in the 700-1000 ranges but again a lot of varialbles in play....what if the water was really cold or really warm or extremely crowded
  • Yep, Pool markings vary, and the depth at the wall makes navigating turns for each pool different. There is a range the markings supposed to fall within to be used for competition. Flags on the other hand are standardized, but different between metric and yards pools.