What is your typical warmup for a session or a race?

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :)
Parents
  • It can also depend upon when you get in the pool. If you are an early bird like me, you can often times get away with using equipment before the warm-up pool(s) become over crowded. Only equipment bans I have seen though have been for fins and paddles (which I totally understand). If you asked me which pieces I would most like to have at my disposal during a warm-up, it would be snorkel, kickboard, buoy in that order (mainly because I could always use the kickboard as a buoy in a pinch). There was some team at Sectionals that insisted on getting in the packed diving well pool (they were running split men's/women's pools for prelims which meant the diving well was the only warmup/down area) with fins, paddles, and snorkels. That was pretty annoying.
  • It can also depend upon when you get in the pool. If you are an early bird like me, you can often times get away with using equipment before the warm-up pool(s) become over crowded. Only equipment bans I have seen though have been for fins and paddles (which I totally understand). If you asked me which pieces I would most like to have at my disposal during a warm-up, it would be snorkel, kickboard, buoy in that order (mainly because I could always use the kickboard as a buoy in a pinch). There was some team at Sectionals that insisted on getting in the packed diving well pool (they were running split men's/women's pools for prelims which meant the diving well was the only warmup/down area) with fins, paddles, and snorkels. That was pretty annoying.
Children
No Data