What is your typical warmup for a session or a race?

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :)
Parents
  • A few years back I arrived at a meet very late and missed the w/u completely. Concluded after that it's not a good idea to race without w/u. Yikes. For a lot of OW swims, with or without a wetsuit, I try to get in ahead and swim at least a few hundred yards to loosen up. But that's not always possible in OW events and one can just start the event out at a slower pace and build, if you can't get in the water ahead of the race. I've tried using fins for 4- 6 fast 50s in a meet w/u, to get a sense of swimming fast and liked it. But I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone else with fins on in a meet w/u. Not sure why. I never thought about incorporating kick drill (pwb, post above) or pull (usher, post above) in a meet w/u, but it seems like an interesting idea worth trying. My usual meet w/u is 300 to 400 ez sw to stretch and then some 50s desc followed by a few 25s from the middle of the pool w/turns and breakouts and finally a few starts. Enough to fee like the meet pool isn't strange a place anymore I'm an old guy and don't want to waste too many good swims in the w/u (same with practice swings in golf) :cane: My meet w/u is not the same as our typical master team w/u, which varies from about 1,200 to 1,400 yards, usually not straight. Typically 500 to 600 straight followed by some 50s, 100s, or 200+s, with drill and stroke mixed in. Sometimes 800 or 1200 straight with every 4th or 8th lap stroke (helps in counting).
  • A few years back I arrived at a meet very late and missed the w/u completely. Concluded after that it's not a good idea to race without w/u. Yikes. For a lot of OW swims, with or without a wetsuit, I try to get in ahead and swim at least a few hundred yards to loosen up. But that's not always possible in OW events and one can just start the event out at a slower pace and build, if you can't get in the water ahead of the race. I've tried using fins for 4- 6 fast 50s in a meet w/u, to get a sense of swimming fast and liked it. But I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone else with fins on in a meet w/u. Not sure why. I never thought about incorporating kick drill (pwb, post above) or pull (usher, post above) in a meet w/u, but it seems like an interesting idea worth trying. My usual meet w/u is 300 to 400 ez sw to stretch and then some 50s desc followed by a few 25s from the middle of the pool w/turns and breakouts and finally a few starts. Enough to fee like the meet pool isn't strange a place anymore I'm an old guy and don't want to waste too many good swims in the w/u (same with practice swings in golf) :cane: My meet w/u is not the same as our typical master team w/u, which varies from about 1,200 to 1,400 yards, usually not straight. Typically 500 to 600 straight followed by some 50s, 100s, or 200+s, with drill and stroke mixed in. Sometimes 800 or 1200 straight with every 4th or 8th lap stroke (helps in counting).
Children
No Data