What is your typical warmup for a session or a race?

Former Member
Former Member
I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :)
Parents
  • I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :) I use practice to determine what kinds of warm-ups make me feel best (READ: ready to race). I then incorporate those warm-ups into my meet warm-up. At a meet that goes several days, I can definitely say that my opening easy stretch out swim of 400-500 yards begins to grow on each new day of the meet, so at a 3-4 day meet I am usually doing like 7-800 yards easy swimming before I do some fine tuning stuff (a mix of kicking, drilling, variable sprint, and then some pace if the upcoming race calls for it). However I also come from a high mileage background so my meet warm-ups would probably come across as "over swimming" to some.
  • I know this is a very newbie question, and there is ample info in swim books/sites about this, but I'd love to hear from REAL SWIMMERS like you, thank you very much. What works for you? Lately I've been doing a series of 200m to 25m swims, usually totalling 800m, as a warmup. Example: 2x200m + 2x100m + 2x50m + 4x25m, starting very easy, ending at "fast" pace. In the future I hope to incorporate drills into the warmup, but I don't have a clue yet. :) I use practice to determine what kinds of warm-ups make me feel best (READ: ready to race). I then incorporate those warm-ups into my meet warm-up. At a meet that goes several days, I can definitely say that my opening easy stretch out swim of 400-500 yards begins to grow on each new day of the meet, so at a 3-4 day meet I am usually doing like 7-800 yards easy swimming before I do some fine tuning stuff (a mix of kicking, drilling, variable sprint, and then some pace if the upcoming race calls for it). However I also come from a high mileage background so my meet warm-ups would probably come across as "over swimming" to some.
Children
No Data