Tapering/preparing for an event - advice please?

Prepping for a 10K swim. Event was cancelled, but the locals are still going to swim it. Been working towards it, most recently I did an almost 9K swim. At any rate, I want to somewhat prepare for this as much as possible, because my goal when I started open water was to do the event (before it was cancelled). Been working with pilots, working on my nutrition, etc. I'm just not sure how to taper for this thing. I probably do about 20,000 yards in an "ideal" week, a little over half that being a short open water swim (4,000 yards) and a long one (7800-9600 yards), and 2-3 3500M (so maybe 3750ish yards) pool swims. Supplement that with a 4-5 mile run or a 12 mile mountain bike or 30 mile road bike ride (we have hills here, FWIW) when I can, especially when the "ideal" week doesn't happen. So, I'm 2 weeks out. How much to back off and taper? How should I approach the last week? Will miss my normal short OW swim Thursday as I'm out of town. Not sure about the longer one this weekend. Next week (2.5 days before the big one), the OW swim is either 3500 yards or 6400, depending on where I choose to get out. I guess the easiest way to ask this.....how many yards this week, and next week? Any "do not exceed in one training session" types of things either week?
Parents
  • 67King, I hope your preparations go well. My taper plan worked out very well for, and I never got to the weekly training volume you were doing, so you should be fine. Here's my 'race report' (even though it was just me and the swim focusing on getting it done) - www.1001pools.com/.../A-devilishly-fun-10K Totally forgot about this thread. Swim went well. We had some current, but the way we measure it (the upstream dam releases) was 0. Was 2nd among the locals, did it in 2 hours, 27 minutes. Last 1000 or so yards was brutal, started cramping something fierce, and just drug the legs. Extrapolating out, it cost me 4 minutes. Blaik is trying to get an ultra sanctioned. We had several folks come in town this weekend for a 13.4 mile swim. Piloted for the lead guy. I have a WHOLE new respect for pilots, I'll say that!
  • 67King, I hope your preparations go well. My taper plan worked out very well for, and I never got to the weekly training volume you were doing, so you should be fine. Here's my 'race report' (even though it was just me and the swim focusing on getting it done) - www.1001pools.com/.../A-devilishly-fun-10K Totally forgot about this thread. Swim went well. We had some current, but the way we measure it (the upstream dam releases) was 0. Was 2nd among the locals, did it in 2 hours, 27 minutes. Last 1000 or so yards was brutal, started cramping something fierce, and just drug the legs. Extrapolating out, it cost me 4 minutes. Blaik is trying to get an ultra sanctioned. We had several folks come in town this weekend for a 13.4 mile swim. Piloted for the lead guy. I have a WHOLE new respect for pilots, I'll say that!
Children
No Data