So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
  • I can imagine some instances of contention over whether a kayak engaged in forward movement while being held onto. Though perhaps I'm too pessimistic about human nature.
  • The more I think about it and read others thoughts, the more I don't like this rule at all. It gives a crutch to those who haven't put in the time or training to do whatever distance they're doing. It also puts those in jeopardy who actually do need a kayaker to help them out. These people are there for safety - to keep an eye on all of us. If someone hangs on the boat, they should be DQd. This isn't a safe sport where you can just stop for a moment to rest or recover. It's one where you are not only one with the elements, but you're also possibly going to be part of the food chain. I definitely have issues with the new rule and hope that RDs announce that they'll not allow it. It'll be interesting to see stats on how many declare it nor not over time.
  • I agree with Flystorms too. I would never consider it a success if I had to stop and hold on and it would concern me that by paying attention to me, they might be jeopardizing someone else's safety. Let me talk about one of our masters team members though. 2 yrs ago she took a couple swim clinics as a newbie. She was a competent biker and runner, but was deathly afraid of open water and wanted to try a Tri. Even in the pool she was very nervous for quite a while, could not put her face in. Fast forward 2 years, she was competent in the pool but still got panic attacks in open water. She entered a sprint Tri with a 1/2 mile swim, got panicky in the water and completed almost the entire thing back stroke. Next week at swim practice on the same lake, I told her I would swim with her and make sure she got it done right. She got it done. And the next week, and the next. By end of summer she completed IM 70.3 in Lake Placid. Never hung on to anything but her self-esteem.
  • This seems like a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for Race Directors to promote their events to the "purists" and swim under English Channel Rules. If an RD wants to pursue the Tri-market, so be it. But, if they want to remain true to the sport of open water swimming, they still may.
  • Sumo, what a great success story. Good job helping that lady get past the fears
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them thatc additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used wiith the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming.
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them that additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used with the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming. You don't have to be a "purist" to swim at the back of the pack. You also don't have to be a purist to hope that everyone in your age group is swimming by the same rules as you. If new swimmers need scaffolding, they can continue to practice in open water with their coach and/or other open water swimmers (who are always willing to take out newbies, I've found) until they are comfortable enough to not have to rest on the side of a boat. Your comment doesn't even address all the safety issues of having swimmers hanging on the side of a kayak, piloted by a person who is supposed to be in the water for the safety of all the swimmers, not just one who isn't ready yet for open water. And if you think an RD has the time to monitor every single swimmer hanging on the side of a kayak to determine if that kayak at that moment is making forward progress or not, I'd have to tell you your outlook is clouded with rosy goggles. What about a swim that naturally has forward progression due to naturally occurring currents? Is the kayaker banned from putting his/her paddles in the water to ensure s/he doesn't propel the swimmer forward faster than the current? Maybe in your view the RD should only accept pairs of volunteers, each pair in a kayak. One responsible for safety of the course, and the other an observer should a swimmer latch on. This kayaker could have a phone with a special app that'll track the current of the river against the movement of the kayak to determine if the unprepared swimmer is getting any forward propulsion or not. (See how silly this gets?!) There is absolutely nothing elitist about people swimming an open water race under their own power from point A to point B. You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. I think evmo asked the perfect question related to your comment above, which was not answered: Perhaps I misunderstand... are you saying cheating is OK as long as it's not for a podium finish?
  • Your comment doesn't even address all the safety issues of having swimmers hanging on the side of a kayak, piloted by a person who is supposed to be in the water for the safety of all the swimmers, not just one who isn't ready yet for open water. True. But I rather have swimmers hanging on a designated rest boat than have my lifeguards performing active rescues on those same drowning swimmers. As for "cheating is OK as long as it's not for a podium finish?" It isn't cheating if it is legal.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    True. But I rather have swimmers hanging on a designated rest boat than have my lifeguards performing active rescues on those same drowning swimmers. As if it were an either/or situation.....
  • True. But I rather have swimmers hanging on a designated rest boat than have my lifeguards performing active rescues on those same drowning swimmers. First I've heard of designated rest boats. Are those different from the safety cover boats? I searched throughout the LD proposed changes and didn't see anything about race directors having to designate some boats as rest boats vice safety.