So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them that additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used with the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming. You don't have to be a "purist" to swim at the back of the pack. You also don't have to be a purist to hope that everyone in your age group is swimming by the same rules as you. If new swimmers need scaffolding, they can continue to practice in open water with their coach and/or other open water swimmers (who are always willing to take out newbies, I've found) until they are comfortable enough to not have to rest on the side of a boat. Your comment doesn't even address all the safety issues of having swimmers hanging on the side of a kayak, piloted by a person who is supposed to be in the water for the safety of all the swimmers, not just one who isn't ready yet for open water. And if you think an RD has the time to monitor every single swimmer hanging on the side of a kayak to determine if that kayak at that moment is making forward progress or not, I'd have to tell you your outlook is clouded with rosy goggles. What about a swim that naturally has forward progression due to naturally occurring currents? Is the kayaker banned from putting his/her paddles in the water to ensure s/he doesn't propel the swimmer forward faster than the current? Maybe in your view the RD should only accept pairs of volunteers, each pair in a kayak. One responsible for safety of the course, and the other an observer should a swimmer latch on. This kayaker could have a phone with a special app that'll track the current of the river against the movement of the kayak to determine if the unprepared swimmer is getting any forward propulsion or not. (See how silly this gets?!) There is absolutely nothing elitist about people swimming an open water race under their own power from point A to point B. You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. I think evmo asked the perfect question related to your comment above, which was not answered: Perhaps I misunderstand... are you saying cheating is OK as long as it's not for a podium finish?
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them that additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used with the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming. You don't have to be a "purist" to swim at the back of the pack. You also don't have to be a purist to hope that everyone in your age group is swimming by the same rules as you. If new swimmers need scaffolding, they can continue to practice in open water with their coach and/or other open water swimmers (who are always willing to take out newbies, I've found) until they are comfortable enough to not have to rest on the side of a boat. Your comment doesn't even address all the safety issues of having swimmers hanging on the side of a kayak, piloted by a person who is supposed to be in the water for the safety of all the swimmers, not just one who isn't ready yet for open water. And if you think an RD has the time to monitor every single swimmer hanging on the side of a kayak to determine if that kayak at that moment is making forward progress or not, I'd have to tell you your outlook is clouded with rosy goggles. What about a swim that naturally has forward progression due to naturally occurring currents? Is the kayaker banned from putting his/her paddles in the water to ensure s/he doesn't propel the swimmer forward faster than the current? Maybe in your view the RD should only accept pairs of volunteers, each pair in a kayak. One responsible for safety of the course, and the other an observer should a swimmer latch on. This kayaker could have a phone with a special app that'll track the current of the river against the movement of the kayak to determine if the unprepared swimmer is getting any forward propulsion or not. (See how silly this gets?!) There is absolutely nothing elitist about people swimming an open water race under their own power from point A to point B. You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. I think evmo asked the perfect question related to your comment above, which was not answered: Perhaps I misunderstand... are you saying cheating is OK as long as it's not for a podium finish?
Children
No Data