So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • I agree with Flystorms too. I would never consider it a success if I had to stop and hold on and it would concern me that by paying attention to me, they might be jeopardizing someone else's safety. Let me talk about one of our masters team members though. 2 yrs ago she took a couple swim clinics as a newbie. She was a competent biker and runner, but was deathly afraid of open water and wanted to try a Tri. Even in the pool she was very nervous for quite a while, could not put her face in. Fast forward 2 years, she was competent in the pool but still got panic attacks in open water. She entered a sprint Tri with a 1/2 mile swim, got panicky in the water and completed almost the entire thing back stroke. Next week at swim practice on the same lake, I told her I would swim with her and make sure she got it done right. She got it done. And the next week, and the next. By end of summer she completed IM 70.3 in Lake Placid. Never hung on to anything but her self-esteem.
  • I agree with Flystorms too. I would never consider it a success if I had to stop and hold on and it would concern me that by paying attention to me, they might be jeopardizing someone else's safety. Let me talk about one of our masters team members though. 2 yrs ago she took a couple swim clinics as a newbie. She was a competent biker and runner, but was deathly afraid of open water and wanted to try a Tri. Even in the pool she was very nervous for quite a while, could not put her face in. Fast forward 2 years, she was competent in the pool but still got panic attacks in open water. She entered a sprint Tri with a 1/2 mile swim, got panicky in the water and completed almost the entire thing back stroke. Next week at swim practice on the same lake, I told her I would swim with her and make sure she got it done right. She got it done. And the next week, and the next. By end of summer she completed IM 70.3 in Lake Placid. Never hung on to anything but her self-esteem.
Children
No Data