So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • Actually, it is different than holding onto a lane line during a pool event. The action of holding onto that lane line does not place any other swimmer in more danger, or take away safety from the rest of the swimmers in the pool, which maybe be up to 9 swimmers in a 10 lane pool?. Also, as a race director I might have 50 - 100 people or more in the water at one time, a lot different from a pool and swim meet. If I have zone coverage on an open water event where I have kayaks out on the course, if one or two are used up with people holding on, they are unavailable to help other swimmers. Right now, that swimmer that holds on is usually removed from the course because they are unable to continue. But if it becomes common for people to think they can hold on and continue, how do I plan for rescue? Do I have kayaks out there for people to hold onto and others that are only to help facilitate rescue? This isn't a good rule for race directors, its good that they allow the RD to used their own discretion, but muddies the waters. RD's get complaints from time to time and now I will have to field questions why I do or don't allow people to rest? It puts more stress on the race directors, many who are already fed up with USMS and go elsewhere for their sanction and insurance. Here in Colorado I was the only race that got a USMS sanction this year. This rule won't help bring anyone back to USMS that left.
  • Actually, it is different than holding onto a lane line during a pool event. The action of holding onto that lane line does not place any other swimmer in more danger, or take away safety from the rest of the swimmers in the pool, which maybe be up to 9 swimmers in a 10 lane pool?. Also, as a race director I might have 50 - 100 people or more in the water at one time, a lot different from a pool and swim meet. If I have zone coverage on an open water event where I have kayaks out on the course, if one or two are used up with people holding on, they are unavailable to help other swimmers. Right now, that swimmer that holds on is usually removed from the course because they are unable to continue. But if it becomes common for people to think they can hold on and continue, how do I plan for rescue? Do I have kayaks out there for people to hold onto and others that are only to help facilitate rescue? This isn't a good rule for race directors, its good that they allow the RD to used their own discretion, but muddies the waters. RD's get complaints from time to time and now I will have to field questions why I do or don't allow people to rest? It puts more stress on the race directors, many who are already fed up with USMS and go elsewhere for their sanction and insurance. Here in Colorado I was the only race that got a USMS sanction this year. This rule won't help bring anyone back to USMS that left.
Children
No Data