So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • My take: the longer distance races I've been in allow swimmers to hold onto a boat but not make forward progress. So, I admit I've held a kayak when needed, typically only for feeds, although on one occasion w a foot cramp. Lately, w the idea of getting into more strict swims, I've been working on weaning myself off that kind of assistance. For instance, in a recent swim where there was some flexibility about holding the boat, I mostly treaded water while taking food/drink, although I did hold the boat during an early feed. If the rules require me not to hold on, I want to be prepared. I think this is a learning process, and I want to respect the race director's rules, even as I'm grateful for the chance to venture out past my comfort zone with less strict rules. i think those races gave me a chance to extend my endurance, so as to feel more prepared to take on those w more stringent rules--kind of lie starting out w a wetsuit and gradually reducing one's need. (I personally prefer not wearing a wetsuit if water temp is mid 60s or above--and looking to increase cold tolerance, so i have more choices of swims.) Might be a good skill to teach in an open water clinic. ... feeding and/or resting without touching the boat. Also, one thing ppl should know if holding a kayak.... don't grab onto the side, only front or back, otherwise a kayak can tip which helps neither swimmer nor kayaker. Overall, it's the RD's decision, and although I've benefited from permission to hold a kayak, I also want to grow as a swimmer, improve my open water skills, so I encourage race directors to stick to the no touch rules in place now, USMS or no USMS. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • My take: the longer distance races I've been in allow swimmers to hold onto a boat but not make forward progress. So, I admit I've held a kayak when needed, typically only for feeds, although on one occasion w a foot cramp. Lately, w the idea of getting into more strict swims, I've been working on weaning myself off that kind of assistance. For instance, in a recent swim where there was some flexibility about holding the boat, I mostly treaded water while taking food/drink, although I did hold the boat during an early feed. If the rules require me not to hold on, I want to be prepared. I think this is a learning process, and I want to respect the race director's rules, even as I'm grateful for the chance to venture out past my comfort zone with less strict rules. i think those races gave me a chance to extend my endurance, so as to feel more prepared to take on those w more stringent rules--kind of lie starting out w a wetsuit and gradually reducing one's need. (I personally prefer not wearing a wetsuit if water temp is mid 60s or above--and looking to increase cold tolerance, so i have more choices of swims.) Might be a good skill to teach in an open water clinic. ... feeding and/or resting without touching the boat. Also, one thing ppl should know if holding a kayak.... don't grab onto the side, only front or back, otherwise a kayak can tip which helps neither swimmer nor kayaker. Overall, it's the RD's decision, and although I've benefited from permission to hold a kayak, I also want to grow as a swimmer, improve my open water skills, so I encourage race directors to stick to the no touch rules in place now, USMS or no USMS. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Children
No Data