Swim across america open water newbie

Hello! I've never swam in the open waters before, but I've had some folks in my masters program who have and love it. I'm thinking of doing a swim across america open water event. But have some questions: Is this considered a race or more of a relaxed charity event where you can go as slow as you want? I tried doing a 2k non-stop in the pool, but my pace was really terrible. I don't have any opportunities to swim in the open water as practice, how will I know whether a wet suit is required? What should I bring for such an event? I've heard that I need to learn how to do a "sighting", and since I breathe on my right, to stay on the left end so I can "look" at people and the direction they are going. Any other tips? My 2 main fears of open water: taking in water while breathing and getting kicked in the face. :afraid:
  • Hi! I did sign up for the event, but it was cancelled due to the weather. I ended up being really disappointed because I was really looking forward to it. I am going to do it this year as well. I did however go to other open water events, 1 mile + 2k. The first open water experience was great. Couldn't even see my hands in front of me while I was in the water, the buoys were huge and bright orange, so I could easily see it. I also memorized the map in advance. I was wearing my regular swim suit, and the water was so cold when I first went in, but with the anxiety, I forgot about the cold quickly. I think about 15 min, I broke away from the crowd and was going on a regular pace and it was great. No currents, no waves. The second open water experience however was terrible. Lots of waves, they didn't have a course map, I could barely see the buoys. I wasn't going to do the third open water, but it was for charity (not SAA), but it was much better than the second one. I ended up going side by side with a guy from the fast lane at masters. I looked at him to guide me around, though I did a few sightings just to make sure he is going the right way.
  • The great thing about the SAA events is that they're super well supported, from what I've experienced. There are going to be several boats out there watching over the swimmers as well as "swim angels" who will also be looking for those who are struggling a bit. I've done that role and it's a lot of fun, plus rewarding to help someone continue. The key is to get in the mileage you'll be doing in practice then getting in some OW time before the event so that you're aware of how you react in conditions. It's a great springboard to other OW events.