Nutrition questions/thoughts

Hey folk-- Having done several o.w. swims, including three that included food stops, I noticed a few things and want to compare notes: 1. As both runner and swimmer, I noticed that things that agreed w/ me when I did long runs caused digestive issues (to put it gently) when I swam. For instance, gels that were fine for running made me very uncomfortable when swimming. At the same time, something like Muscle Milk (I know, I know--tell me how bad the ingredients are, etc.) worked great for a 6000 yard swim... but I wouldn't use that for running. And the "Nu'un" tablets you add to water for electrolytes... fine for running... forget them for swimming (well at least for me... maybe others have better experiences?). So why would something that works well for running not be so good for swimming (and vice versa)? 2. My nutrition plan last year (practiced on a 3 hour o.w. swim w/ my coach) was perfect... in fresh water. In salt water... some things that I could digest w/out trouble in fresh water gave me the heaves in salt water. Live 'n' learn! So... what have you found in this regard? Differences between running and swimming? Between salt water and fresh water? What seems to work best for you in salt water especially? Thanks for your thoughts!
Parents
  • Hi FindingMyInnerFish, I'm not a runner, so I can't speak to running. However, I do kayak/paddle in races that are long distance and have slightly different fueling plans between swimming long events and paddling long events. One thing I can say is that your body is in a horizontal position while swimming versus vertical while running. So, when eating/drinking while swimming puts your body in a different digestive position. That may mean that solids/liquids are staying in your stomach longer before moving into your intestines for digestion. Also, swimming with a good stroke requires using your abs a good bit. The tightening and use of your abs may also be putting more digestive stress on your system. As for salt versus fresh water, that seems odd to me. My guess is that you consumed some saltwater during your feeding, which upset your stomach. Other than that, I wouldn't know why you're having different experiences in salt and fresh water. As for fueling, I use mostly liquid type products for fueling in OW swimming. I'm a big Hammer Nutrition fan because their products are free from sugars and artificial additives. I use a combination of HEED, Perpetuem, and GEL along with plain water. I typically consume the calorie stuff first and then wash it all down with a couple gulps of water. I also believe in having a variety of things...even some solid food and have trained with all of it before a race so you know it works. There have been times when something just didn't sound good to my stomach and if it was the only thing I had, I would have been in trouble. Having a variety means you can switch between things as needed..if it's possible during the type of race you're doing. Dave
  • Hi FindingMyInnerFish, I'm not a runner, so I can't speak to running. However, I do kayak/paddle in races that are long distance and have slightly different fueling plans between swimming long events and paddling long events. One thing I can say is that your body is in a horizontal position while swimming versus vertical while running. So, when eating/drinking while swimming puts your body in a different digestive position. That may mean that solids/liquids are staying in your stomach longer before moving into your intestines for digestion. Also, swimming with a good stroke requires using your abs a good bit. The tightening and use of your abs may also be putting more digestive stress on your system. As for salt versus fresh water, that seems odd to me. My guess is that you consumed some saltwater during your feeding, which upset your stomach. Other than that, I wouldn't know why you're having different experiences in salt and fresh water. As for fueling, I use mostly liquid type products for fueling in OW swimming. I'm a big Hammer Nutrition fan because their products are free from sugars and artificial additives. I use a combination of HEED, Perpetuem, and GEL along with plain water. I typically consume the calorie stuff first and then wash it all down with a couple gulps of water. I also believe in having a variety of things...even some solid food and have trained with all of it before a race so you know it works. There have been times when something just didn't sound good to my stomach and if it was the only thing I had, I would have been in trouble. Having a variety means you can switch between things as needed..if it's possible during the type of race you're doing. Dave
Children
No Data