Caribbean vacation spots with open water swimming options

Hi, swimmers! I'm planning a family vacation to the Caribbean and would really like to go somewhere I can swim 2-3 miles solo daily in the ocean, bay or sound. (So maybe close to shore for safety?) Anyone have recommendations for particular hotels that would allow this option without too much travel time? I have two children, ages 9, and 11 and a non-swimming husband, so family-friendly is a must.
Parents
  • I just got back from St. John and swam at least a few hours every day. Cinnamon Bay was a perfect beach, although there's only a campground there so might not work for the rest of the family. The swimming was fantastic. I also love Anguilla and there are some fantastic beaches to swim there. When we stayed there, I swam a few hours every day and never got bored with it. I've done the St. Croix Coral Reef swim many times and while I love it, the beach at the Buccaneer is not the best for taking off by yourself unless you have a safe swimmer. The beach at the hotel is pretty small so it requires going farther out in the open water. Depends upon your comfort level. Recently, Culebra had some of my favorite swimming. Not a lot of options for non-swimmers but it's gorgeous. And the snorkeling is AMAZING.
  • I just got back from St. John and swam at least a few hours every day. Cinnamon Bay was a perfect beach, although there's only a campground there so might not work for the rest of the family. The swimming was fantastic. I also love Anguilla and there are some fantastic beaches to swim there. When we stayed there, I swam a few hours every day and never got bored with it. I've done the St. Croix Coral Reef swim many times and while I love it, the beach at the Buccaneer is not the best for taking off by yourself unless you have a safe swimmer. The beach at the hotel is pretty small so it requires going farther out in the open water. Depends upon your comfort level. Recently, Culebra had some of my favorite swimming. Not a lot of options for non-swimmers but it's gorgeous. And the snorkeling is AMAZING.
Children
No Data