Two days before 5 mile swim--last minute thoughts?

Well, gang, two days plus 47 minutes from now, I'll embark upon this swim: www.greatsouthbayswim.com I've done it twice before, in 2007 (3:25:12) and 2010 (4:19:xx). In 2010, I was undertrained and so just happy I could finish before they fished me out of the water (they gave me some slack over the 4 hour cut-off b/c I was getting close). This year, they're going to be a lot stricter. I'm fine with that. They are an organization I trust and I've never at any time during either swim ever felt unsafe or that someone was dropping the ball--they are wonderful! This year, I've trained with a coach, had some open water practice, including a 3 hour swim, reached a max of 10000 yards (in a pool), and feel ready, yet (of course) nervous as the day gets closer. Will I make the cut-off? Will I forget something important? etc. etc. Now some of you are channel swimmers and will see this as a sprint, which I understand entirely (I used to see a mile open water as long distance, and now that feels quite short). Still, it's a long swim given my experience. And I'm told the course was changed slightly and will be a little longer than the 5.25 miles that it's been in the past. However, there is a current assist most of the way, so although speed isn't my claim to fame (ha, far from it), I feel that with Mother Nature's help, I can make use of such speed as I have and beat the clock. I don't care about beating the competition, not that it wouldn't be lovely to podium in my age group--however, at 63, I'm competing with other women 50 and over, so i'm not concerned about that. In the long open water swim, my coach accompanied me, and had me stop every 20 minutes for food/drink. I swam an hour 45 mins. upstream, then 59 mins. downstream (we then used the remaining time for a shorter out and back). The pace going back was, as you can guess, much faster (averaging 35 min./mile pace--okay, you may think that's pretty slow but bear with me). That's what I cling to in hoping that I can make the cut-off, when I'll have the current at my back (except, I'm told for the first 15-20. just before the tide turns). So, any thoughts, words of wisdom, well-wishes, prayers, etc. much appreciated. My own thought: I'm so grateful for the excellent coaching and support I've received. My coach has been golden in guiding me to this point (he's out of town competing himself), and my swim group has been wonderful in cheering me on. I want, of course, to make them proud, despite all the pre-race nerves. All I can do is the best I can do, and then .... God willing, it's enough! Thanks and happy swimming!
Parents
  • Thank you, Kari! Yes, "keep on swimming!" :) I figure the pre-race nerves are part of the whole "rite of passage." But of course I still have all the "what if" questions. Now, as the race gets closer, I just want to start swimming and let all the questions fall away. Curious how often others take food/drink. My coach is adamant that I should go on 20 minute cycles. He actually said 15 but compromised a little b/c I thought that wouldn't give me enough time to get into any kind of rhythm. When I swam with him kayaking, I did find that the 20 mins. apart seemed to work okay, although I admit that when I spotted him reaching into the bag of drinks/food, I was thinking, "what? already?" And if I took only a sip or two of the water or sports drink, he'd hand it back and tell me to take more. I'm not one who likes to eat/drink very much but I did notice that I felt better and didn't get the foot cramps I've had when I skimp on nutrition. In addition, for my first swim, I got god-awful seasick b/c I had taken nothing (absolutely a bad idea, and a sports nutritionist told me that what I took to be seasickness could also have been dehydration. Whatever it was, I'm working on not repeating that aspect of my swim). I love the people who organize the swim--they have a great cause they raise money for, and they're very genuine, caring people. They also have the organization down to a science, everything clockwork. One year, I volunteered, and decided that swimming would be an easier way to support the effort. ;) The good thing about volunteering is that while I already have tons of respect for volunteers at any race (run, swim, tri, you name it), that respect multiplied many times when I worked the event. I'm beyond grateful for what the volunteers do!
  • Thank you, Kari! Yes, "keep on swimming!" :) I figure the pre-race nerves are part of the whole "rite of passage." But of course I still have all the "what if" questions. Now, as the race gets closer, I just want to start swimming and let all the questions fall away. Curious how often others take food/drink. My coach is adamant that I should go on 20 minute cycles. He actually said 15 but compromised a little b/c I thought that wouldn't give me enough time to get into any kind of rhythm. When I swam with him kayaking, I did find that the 20 mins. apart seemed to work okay, although I admit that when I spotted him reaching into the bag of drinks/food, I was thinking, "what? already?" And if I took only a sip or two of the water or sports drink, he'd hand it back and tell me to take more. I'm not one who likes to eat/drink very much but I did notice that I felt better and didn't get the foot cramps I've had when I skimp on nutrition. In addition, for my first swim, I got god-awful seasick b/c I had taken nothing (absolutely a bad idea, and a sports nutritionist told me that what I took to be seasickness could also have been dehydration. Whatever it was, I'm working on not repeating that aspect of my swim). I love the people who organize the swim--they have a great cause they raise money for, and they're very genuine, caring people. They also have the organization down to a science, everything clockwork. One year, I volunteered, and decided that swimming would be an easier way to support the effort. ;) The good thing about volunteering is that while I already have tons of respect for volunteers at any race (run, swim, tri, you name it), that respect multiplied many times when I worked the event. I'm beyond grateful for what the volunteers do!
Children
No Data