Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Note to Evan… I’m not sure where you find your wetsuits and crutches, by my wetsuit doesn’t look like or smell like a crutch .;) nothing personal, but i would bet dollars to doughnuts that your wetsuit smells much worse
  • There is just this purist holier than thou attitude among some OW swimmers (all present company excepted, of course :) ) who see a wetsuit as a crutch.Chris, as a member of the purist holier than thou OW swimmer sect, I don’t see wetsuits as a crutch I see wetsuits as equipment; similar to cap and goggles. But I guess it depends on your definition of crutch. If you mean it as something that supports somebody who is otherwise liable to falter, then I agree that things such as goggles and wetsuits are crutches. Note to Evan… I’m not sure where you find your wetsuits and crutches, by my wetsuit doesn’t look like or smell like a crutch .;)
  • Former Member
    But if you are going to allow me to use a tool in a triathlon which will (1) allow me to swim faster and (2) stay warmer thus conserving energy for the bike and run, I'm going with that option. This is essentially the same argument that was made in favor of tech suits. Yes... there is no denying that many competitors will embrace every technical advantage that is made available to them, even to the point where the very nature of the activity they are participating in becomes completely different from what it was before said "technical advances". Bravo if it makes you more competitive... but there is still only room for 3 on the podium. The swim leg of a triathlon is not the same thing as an OW swim. The whole sport seems to favor making the swim as easy and short as possible. Reason: To encourage mass participation (read $$$$$), even to the point where really poor swimmers are likely to enter. There is a company now marketing wetsuits with EXTRA floatation built in. Yes, I think the training wheel analogy is appropriate. Call me a relic if you want... I'm also the guy with the Rossin steel frame (Columbus SL tubing), Campy Super Record 12 speed, sew-ups, friction shifters on the drop, and leather hair net.
  • Former Member
    The swim leg of a triathlon is not the same thing as an OW swim. The whole sport seems to favor making the swim as easy and short as possible. Reason: To encourage mass participation (read $$$$$), even to the point where really poor swimmers are likely to enter. There is a company now marketing wetsuits with EXTRA floatation built in. Yes, I think the training wheel analogy is appropriate. Sadly, can't disagree there, and the industry has to deal with calls for legislation every year when the inevitable death occurs, even if it's the result of something completely irrelevant to fitness level. Triathletes as a general rule are poor swimmers. I am certainly not fast when compared to true swimmers and was well within the top 10% OA at Oceanside 70.3 last weekend at :30. Some people will actually not do a race if they can't wear their wetsuits. That's sad. Then there are the 25 minute 1.2 mile half ironman guys and girls. The huge majority are somewhere in the middle. The De Soto 5mm suit, if that is what you are referring to, is specifically banned at WTC events, by the way I don't care that a RD sets rules to increase participation. At the end of the day, the more people that participate in my sport means that more events will be put on, which means that I get to race more. Races that don't get support die. In my naive and ideal world, people will not enter races for which they are not prepared.
  • Former Member
    I guess this won't win me any popularity contests, and is possibly a little off topic, but here goes: The ability to withstand, and even enjoy swimming in cold water doesn't happen by accident. It's not some pill you can take or some magic ability some people have and others don't. It's nearly always the result of a lot of hard work and training, just like running a marathon or doing a triathlon (or swimming a fast pool swim!!). I think the "snob" label some non-wetsuit swimmers get is a little unfair. I definitely get very annoyed when I'm told I "don't feel the cold" or am just "built for it" because that trivializes a lot of my hard work! I have personally invited people who say those kinds of things to me to come to the lake with me and watch me shiver. I believe non-wetsuit "snobs" are just trying to maintain what should be a huge distinction between wetsuit and non wetsuit swims. They are just not the same animal and do not compare at all. Hence the disqualification of wetsuits from awards in some races. If people don't have the time or just don't want to put in the training required to swim in cold water without a wetsuit, fine. In my mind, though, it's the equivalent of showing up to Canada or Lake Placid with a motor on your bike because you didn't feel like training for the hills. couldn't have said it better
  • What she said. Listen to the Chicken. There is just this purist holier than thou attitude among some OW swimmers... who see a wetsuit as a crutch. Of course it's a crutch! Unless wearing a wetsuit is inherently pleasurable - which I doubt even the most enthusiastic wetsuit proponents believe - then it follows that it is a crutch. Why do people wear wetsuits? Why do they spend the money to buy them, or take the time to put them on, or put up with the chaffing they cause? Because they think the water is too cold, or because they think it will make them faster. Looks like a crutch... walks like a crutch... smells like a crutch....
  • Former Member
    +1 @ chicken of the sea +1 @ leather hair net the speed argument holds for podium contenders. most though are competing against themselves, training to swim faster than they did previously. their victories are huge ... and independent of attire. the bicycle analogy is encumber by the fact that a bike is required for cycling, whereas a wetsuit is not required for swimming. non-insulating positively-buoyant wetsuits for warm water cone-head speed caps gps enabled goggles
  • Former Member
    Te swim leg of a triathlon is not the same thing as an OW swim. The whole sport seems to favor making the swim as easy and short as possible. Reason: To encourage mass participation (read $$$$$), even to the point where really poor swimmers are likely to enter. I am SO TIRED of hearing the criticism and The belittling of the swim leg of triathlons by people who have no idea what it is all about. Let me make it perfectly clear right now, if it wasn't for the swim leg in triathlons I would never be able to relive the joy I had 30 years ago swimming near the front of an open water race. Outside of USAT Nationals I always finished in the top 3% to 8% in the swim, and finished 3rd overall 2 years in a row in fields of over 250 people in the race (it had a longer than normal swim leg). Please don't take that away from me. Call me a relic if you want... I'm also the guy with the Rossin steel frame (Columbus SL tubing), Campy Super Record 12 speed, sew-ups, friction shifters on the drop, and leather hair net. Unless to are riding a 10 speed with down tube shifters and a Reynolds steel frame and Campy Nuovo Record components you can't claim to be a traditionalist. Although I'll give you credit for sewups, you only get partial credit unless you repair your own flats and ride them until the threads are showing through the treads.
  • Former Member
    I am SO TIRED of hearing the criticism and The belittling of the swim leg of triathlons by people who have no idea what it is all about. Let me make it perfectly clear right now, if it wasn't for the swim leg in triathlons I would never be able to relive the joy I had 30 years ago swimming near the front of an open water race. Outside of USAT Nationals I always finished in the top 3% to 8% in the swim, and finished 3rd overall 2 years in a row in fields of over 250 people in the race (it had a longer than normal swim leg). Please don't take that away from me. I'm not nearly as old as you, but I did participate in a good couple of dozen triathlons in the early 80's (if participation can be defined as crawling through a 10k on one's hands and knees) These were indeed the good old days... few (if any) wetsuits, no aero bars, creative non-standardized distances, and beer company sponsorships.
  • Former Member
    I . . . and beer company sponsorships. Heck in the 80's there was the Bud Light Open Water Series in Southern California. Every weekend through the summer there was a race from Santa Barbara to San Clemente. And by the way, beer is still e recovery drink of choice for triathlons in Oregon, and sometimes even step in as one of the sponsors.