Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • I take geog's point in bumping the old threads to mean: It has happened before, and it will happen again. So it has, and so it will. I'm sure it's bad for profits and media spectacle, but as long as: - there are still OWS events (excluding tris) that don't separate wetsuits & skins (and btw ChrisM, in my experience, outside of USMS events this is still the norm); - the desire to maintain this distinction is mischaracterized as elitist; - people who swim the English Channel in wetsuits are eligible for the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (no joke)... ... I will continue to fight the good fight. ChrisM, I'm sorry for being short with you earlier. If you're interested in learning more about marathon swimming, I invite you to check out marathonswimmers.org. As long as you don't start off with the phrase "holier than thou," like you did here, I think you'll actually find it quite a friendly group. Likewise, I'll refrain from trolling Slowtwitch or BeginnerTri with all of my antiquated notions.
  • I take geog's point in bumping the old threads to mean: It has happened before, and it will happen again. So it has, and so it will. I'm sure it's bad for profits and media spectacle, but as long as: - there are still OWS events (excluding tris) that don't separate wetsuits & skins (and btw ChrisM, in my experience, outside of USMS events this is still the norm); - the desire to maintain this distinction is mischaracterized as elitist; - people who swim the English Channel in wetsuits are eligible for the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (no joke)... ... I will continue to fight the good fight. ChrisM, I'm sorry for being short with you earlier. If you're interested in learning more about marathon swimming, I invite you to check out marathonswimmers.org. As long as you don't start off with the phrase "holier than thou," like you did here, I think you'll actually find it quite a friendly group. Likewise, I'll refrain from trolling Slowtwitch or BeginnerTri with all of my antiquated notions.
Children
No Data