Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    All I'm saying is that they allow swimmers to "swim" in conditions they are not trained for. Let's not start down the road of requiring a qualifying swim in similar conditions to make sure they've trained properly (although it is the only way to really know). While fear keeps many out of OW races, there are always a few swimmers who are not ready for the conditions of the race, surf or weather with or without a wetsuit. I think people use them to overcome the cold (skinny triathletes), or in many cases, just the fear of the cold. I think the real danger is a swimmer panicing while swimming in close quarters in a group - particularly at the start and turn buoys. I think everyone can be taught to float on their back with or without a wetsuit - maybe that should be checked before each race. Imagine seeing 100 people floating on their backs before the start of a 1 mile OW swim. It might draw more spectators than the race itself. (Maybe we should do a "flash mob" float in the La Jolla Cove on a hot summer weekend.)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    All I'm saying is that they allow swimmers to "swim" in conditions they are not trained for. Let's not start down the road of requiring a qualifying swim in similar conditions to make sure they've trained properly (although it is the only way to really know). While fear keeps many out of OW races, there are always a few swimmers who are not ready for the conditions of the race, surf or weather with or without a wetsuit. I think people use them to overcome the cold (skinny triathletes), or in many cases, just the fear of the cold. I think the real danger is a swimmer panicing while swimming in close quarters in a group - particularly at the start and turn buoys. I think everyone can be taught to float on their back with or without a wetsuit - maybe that should be checked before each race. Imagine seeing 100 people floating on their backs before the start of a 1 mile OW swim. It might draw more spectators than the race itself. (Maybe we should do a "flash mob" float in the La Jolla Cove on a hot summer weekend.)
Children
No Data