Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Some events have a temperature cutoff and won't allow wetsuits if the water is above a certain temperature. As the other posters said, everyone has a different level of tolerance for cold water. I am a "cold water wimp" and get cold easily. We do one-hour open water workouts about once a week, year-round, and this is my personal guideline (it also depends on whether the sun is out and what the air temperature is): Water 74 or above: no wetsuit Water 73 to 64: sleeveless, knee-length wetsuit Water 63 to 55: long-sleeved, full-length wetsuit I haven't swum in water colder than 55.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Some events have a temperature cutoff and won't allow wetsuits if the water is above a certain temperature. As the other posters said, everyone has a different level of tolerance for cold water. I am a "cold water wimp" and get cold easily. We do one-hour open water workouts about once a week, year-round, and this is my personal guideline (it also depends on whether the sun is out and what the air temperature is): Water 74 or above: no wetsuit Water 73 to 64: sleeveless, knee-length wetsuit Water 63 to 55: long-sleeved, full-length wetsuit I haven't swum in water colder than 55.
Children
No Data