Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • The answer to that question is going to be different for every person. Some, as you've seen from other posts, won't use a wetsuit no matter what the temp. Everybody generates a different level of body heat with a given activity, so that and the distance swum will all be factors. Two years ago I swam Elk Lake with a wetsuit at with temps around 68* and took some playful ribbing as a result. In my defense I was just trying to get used to the wetsuit in preparation for a 10K up in Alaska the following week. a 5K in 68* water proved too warm for me, but I love the xtra speed I get with the suit. Last year temp was about 62 and I was one of only a few to go without wetsuit. In hindsight I wish I had used my suit at that temp. The great thing about using the suit in cold water is that at least for me I look forward to the experience, instead of dreading the time spent getting numb, then taking so long after the swim to talk right again.
  • The answer to that question is going to be different for every person. Some, as you've seen from other posts, won't use a wetsuit no matter what the temp. Everybody generates a different level of body heat with a given activity, so that and the distance swum will all be factors. Two years ago I swam Elk Lake with a wetsuit at with temps around 68* and took some playful ribbing as a result. In my defense I was just trying to get used to the wetsuit in preparation for a 10K up in Alaska the following week. a 5K in 68* water proved too warm for me, but I love the xtra speed I get with the suit. Last year temp was about 62 and I was one of only a few to go without wetsuit. In hindsight I wish I had used my suit at that temp. The great thing about using the suit in cold water is that at least for me I look forward to the experience, instead of dreading the time spent getting numb, then taking so long after the swim to talk right again.
Children
No Data