Marathon Swim Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have 10k ocean swim experience but want to venture to marathon swim training, this being 24-26 miles. My best 10k is 3hrs 21 min and my best river swim for 4.8 was 2hrs 10 min. I learned to swim late in life 29 and have been gaining open water skills. I'm now a master swimmer and want to swim the above distance. How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts? I realize currents and weather conditions are a factor in the successful completion for this distance as well. Thank you.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Having been quite interested in the 'longer' distance events in recent years (both in the pool and open water - say up to 3 or 4 miles or so) - I'm considering a pool 10km event in March. Whenever I've done 5km events I've never bothered with drinks/supplements during the race, but now wonder whether I'd run out of muscle glycogen in a 10km event. I always work on being well hydrated before entering the water + ensure I'm sipping an electrolyte drink in the last hour before I start. I normally do around 63mins for 5km and would hope for around 2h 10 - 2h 15m for the 10km. Any specific 'feeding' advice anyone? Ta!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Having been quite interested in the 'longer' distance events in recent years (both in the pool and open water - say up to 3 or 4 miles or so) - I'm considering a pool 10km event in March. Whenever I've done 5km events I've never bothered with drinks/supplements during the race, but now wonder whether I'd run out of muscle glycogen in a 10km event. I always work on being well hydrated before entering the water + ensure I'm sipping an electrolyte drink in the last hour before I start. I normally do around 63mins for 5km and would hope for around 2h 10 - 2h 15m for the 10km. Any specific 'feeding' advice anyone? Ta!
Children
No Data