Marathon Swim Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have 10k ocean swim experience but want to venture to marathon swim training, this being 24-26 miles. My best 10k is 3hrs 21 min and my best river swim for 4.8 was 2hrs 10 min. I learned to swim late in life 29 and have been gaining open water skills. I'm now a master swimmer and want to swim the above distance. How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts? I realize currents and weather conditions are a factor in the successful completion for this distance as well. Thank you.
Parents
  • You asked “How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts?” There is no simple answer to this. As you mentioned weather and currents can be a factor. However, they also dictate what kind and how much training you will need. Cold water (55-65F) training requires a longer period of acclimation training than warmer swims. Also, training for a fresh water marathon will vary from salt water Marathons. Also, if the swim is a race (such as Manhattan Island or Tampa Bay) as opposed to an individual swim (such as the English Channel) you need to decide if you are swimming to compete or complete. Training to win a marathon is a lot harder than training to finish. You mentioned that you swam a 10K in 3:21, so you must be somewhat comfortable with feeding. In a 3+ hour swim feeding is important, in a 10-14 hours proper feedings are critical. As you work up to longer training swims, 5 to 7 hours, make sure you work on the feedings as well as the swim. I personally like feeding every 30 minutes, while others prefer 15-20 minute intervals. Go with what works in training. As for training distance, the elite marathon swimmers are logging 100,000+ meters per week in preparation for races and 40 – 60,000 in the pre-season. Now with that said, most masters don’t have the time or the shoulders for that kind of yardage. 30 – 40,000 in-season and 20 – 30,000 pre-season worked for me. However most marathon experts recommend 30 – 60% more. What limited my training were personal time constraints and the desire to lift my arms without excruciating pain. The second limitation, the bodies ability to withstand training injury, dictates how long you need to train to get up to your training distance. If you try to dramatically increase yardage without a proper foundation, you greatly increase the possibility of injury. And the last thing you want to do is to attempt a marathon with sore parts. 45,000 strokes in pain is no fun. Now, I’ve rambled on for some time and still haven’t completely answered your question. My best answer is Leonard suggested, find a marathon coach or a marathon swimmer and talk with them to set up a training program. And who knows, there may be a marathon swimmer in your area who you can train with. GOOD LUCK!
  • You asked “How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts?” There is no simple answer to this. As you mentioned weather and currents can be a factor. However, they also dictate what kind and how much training you will need. Cold water (55-65F) training requires a longer period of acclimation training than warmer swims. Also, training for a fresh water marathon will vary from salt water Marathons. Also, if the swim is a race (such as Manhattan Island or Tampa Bay) as opposed to an individual swim (such as the English Channel) you need to decide if you are swimming to compete or complete. Training to win a marathon is a lot harder than training to finish. You mentioned that you swam a 10K in 3:21, so you must be somewhat comfortable with feeding. In a 3+ hour swim feeding is important, in a 10-14 hours proper feedings are critical. As you work up to longer training swims, 5 to 7 hours, make sure you work on the feedings as well as the swim. I personally like feeding every 30 minutes, while others prefer 15-20 minute intervals. Go with what works in training. As for training distance, the elite marathon swimmers are logging 100,000+ meters per week in preparation for races and 40 – 60,000 in the pre-season. Now with that said, most masters don’t have the time or the shoulders for that kind of yardage. 30 – 40,000 in-season and 20 – 30,000 pre-season worked for me. However most marathon experts recommend 30 – 60% more. What limited my training were personal time constraints and the desire to lift my arms without excruciating pain. The second limitation, the bodies ability to withstand training injury, dictates how long you need to train to get up to your training distance. If you try to dramatically increase yardage without a proper foundation, you greatly increase the possibility of injury. And the last thing you want to do is to attempt a marathon with sore parts. 45,000 strokes in pain is no fun. Now, I’ve rambled on for some time and still haven’t completely answered your question. My best answer is Leonard suggested, find a marathon coach or a marathon swimmer and talk with them to set up a training program. And who knows, there may be a marathon swimmer in your area who you can train with. GOOD LUCK!
Children
No Data