Marathon Swim Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have 10k ocean swim experience but want to venture to marathon swim training, this being 24-26 miles. My best 10k is 3hrs 21 min and my best river swim for 4.8 was 2hrs 10 min. I learned to swim late in life 29 and have been gaining open water skills. I'm now a master swimmer and want to swim the above distance. How many months training to reach the above goal , mileage necessary, and swim workouts? I realize currents and weather conditions are a factor in the successful completion for this distance as well. Thank you.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    You might want to look at Penny Lee Dean's book, "Open Water Swimming". It has decent info, but the organization of said book is somewhat lacking. Also, Marcia Cleveland's book, "Dover Solo" has some good info in it on how she trained to swim the English Channel and it is better organized. (I bet PLD is right-brain dominant and MC is left-brain dominant.) There is a lack of good LD/open water training resources, especially written ones. I have seen several articles on the internet, but most of them aren't detailed enough. Other than that, I believe that there are several people who coach marathon swimmers, although I have no idea as to what they charge. -LBJ
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    You might want to look at Penny Lee Dean's book, "Open Water Swimming". It has decent info, but the organization of said book is somewhat lacking. Also, Marcia Cleveland's book, "Dover Solo" has some good info in it on how she trained to swim the English Channel and it is better organized. (I bet PLD is right-brain dominant and MC is left-brain dominant.) There is a lack of good LD/open water training resources, especially written ones. I have seen several articles on the internet, but most of them aren't detailed enough. Other than that, I believe that there are several people who coach marathon swimmers, although I have no idea as to what they charge. -LBJ
Children
No Data