Swimming and diabetes

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and thought it would be useful to have a thread where people can talk about their experiences of swimming with diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type II last summer and started Metformin. I've had conflicting advice about diet and have found that what works best for me is low carb. I had been swimming about 1500 meters three or four times a week prior to diagnosis. As I have increased my yardage to 5000 meters five or six times a week, my blood sugar has been easier to manage (down from 196 to 105) without hypoglycemia. I am still learning about supplements. I am very interested in other people's experiences and that you have found helpful. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Hi there, My story is not nearly are smart as some of the others but thought I would share. In February my Doc gave me a glucose meter with instructions to stab myself twice daily. I was told that I would be (probably) put on diabetes meds to go along with my cholesterol and blood pressure meds. I weighed 260 lbs and had a 48 inch waist. My BMI was in the OMG range. At the time my exercise regime consisted of logging into World of Warcraft and killing fantasy monsters 3-6 hours a night and killing multiple bags of doritos. The glucose meter was the wakeup. I hate needles! I joined MyFitnessPal.com and put myself on a "lose 1 pound per week" diet and started doing some aerobics at the university gym. After 3 months and a return to the MD, I was told to keep using the meter every three days and no additional meds. I then joined Masters Swimming. After three months of that, we got to toss the meter and we have reduced my blood pressure meds by 2/3. I currently weigh 210 with a 37 inch waist. My goal is to eliminate all of my meds by Jan 1st (and be 180/34). For me, exercise is key and Masters Swimming provides the support, challenge, and motivation to make it happen. Bill
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Hi there, My story is not nearly are smart as some of the others but thought I would share. In February my Doc gave me a glucose meter with instructions to stab myself twice daily. I was told that I would be (probably) put on diabetes meds to go along with my cholesterol and blood pressure meds. I weighed 260 lbs and had a 48 inch waist. My BMI was in the OMG range. At the time my exercise regime consisted of logging into World of Warcraft and killing fantasy monsters 3-6 hours a night and killing multiple bags of doritos. The glucose meter was the wakeup. I hate needles! I joined MyFitnessPal.com and put myself on a "lose 1 pound per week" diet and started doing some aerobics at the university gym. After 3 months and a return to the MD, I was told to keep using the meter every three days and no additional meds. I then joined Masters Swimming. After three months of that, we got to toss the meter and we have reduced my blood pressure meds by 2/3. I currently weigh 210 with a 37 inch waist. My goal is to eliminate all of my meds by Jan 1st (and be 180/34). For me, exercise is key and Masters Swimming provides the support, challenge, and motivation to make it happen. Bill
Children
No Data