personal pace clock?

I'd like to get a small personal pace clock to use for working out at pools which don't have pace clocks (or where they don't work or are placed in odd locations). Something that's easy to throw in my swimming bag, runs on batteries, and is obviously waterproof for placing at the end of my lane. Digital would be excellent as would a minutes reading and a way to easily reset it, but none of that is 100% necessary. No need for lap counters, lap timers, calorie readouts, or anything like that. Just a simple seconds display to use for swimming sets is all I really need. I'm having trouble finding something online, which seems odd to me. Everything is either too expensive (spending $1000 is a bit much), too big, or needs to be plugged in. I found a 15" analog pace clock, which is too big to put in my bag and lug around. There's also the Finis Lap Track which has gotten horrible reviews so I'm leery about that. I can't really find much else, at least at all the usual sites. I have to believe that someone out there makes a waterproof digital pace clock that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars right? Wouldn't there be a market for that? Do people only wear watches? Wearing a watch drives me crazy when I swim so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated! Justin
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Pace Pal also has a Facebook page that is growing. They have updates and more info on the Facebook page as well. www.facebook.com/.../185826018125667
  • Would a low price Casio watch work?
  • I'd like to get a small personal pace clock to use for working out at pools which don't have pace clocks (or where they don't work or are placed in odd locations). That is a problem. I've developed a solution. PaceWatch, the pace clock for your wrist. See it at brilliantswim.com. Something that's easy to throw in my swimming bag, runs on batteries, and is obviously waterproof for placing at the end of my lane. Check, check and check. Digital would be excellent as would a minutes reading and a way to easily reset it, but none of that is 100% necessary. No need for lap counters, lap timers, calorie readouts, or anything like that. Just a simple seconds display to use for swimming sets is all I really need. As you will see in a comparison photo on brilliantswim.com, the PaceWatch's oversized white face with black markings, a red second hand and a black minute hand is a lot easier to read than all of those digital swim watches with small, black-on-gray liquid crystal displays. I had wanted to incorporate a quick-reset-to-60 button, but sacrificed that feature to be able to make the PaceWatch the thinnest swim watch on the market. I'm having trouble finding something online, which seems odd to me. Everything is either too expensive (spending $1000 is a bit much), too big, or needs to be plugged in. I found a 15" analog pace clock, which is too big to put in my bag and lug around. There's also the Finis Lap Track which has gotten horrible reviews so I'm leery about that. I can't really find much else, at least at all the usual sites. I have to believe that someone out there makes a waterproof digital pace clock that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars right? Wouldn't there be a market for that? Do people only wear watches? Wearing a watch drives me crazy when I swim so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. The introductory price of the PaceWatch is $74.99. If you don't like wearing a watch (even a *really* slim watch) when you swim, and you don't need to have your personal pace clock with you at both ends of the pool, you can simply loop the band through the band retainer to create an on-deck stand for your mini pace clock, or you can simply attach it to your water bottle. I'd love to hear your feedback. Phillip Luebke Founder of Brilliant Swim, maker of the PaceWatch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    A solution for any web connected phone, tablet, or display is available at ScWIDs.com.
  • I bought the Pace Pal a few years ago and use it a lot. It's great to have in the water for a long swim (I use it during USMS Postals and other extended swims) and great to have on deck right at the end of my lane when working out. I also use it for timing dryland workouts, particularly when I ride my bike on the trainer.
  • I just picked up this guy -- www.amazon.com/.../B00247LOXE -- from Amazon and have been very happy with it. Granted, it's not super-portable if you're driving to/from pools, but it is doable and visible from the opposite end of a 25M pool. How much does it weigh? Would you dare bring this to lap swim at a community pool or would you fear that the guards would throw you out? I'm thinking about a pace pal for practices where there is no pace clock. Is this better?
  • I had one and loved it while it worked, but it only lasted about two years for me before the waterproof seal broke.This was my experience as well.
  • How much does it weigh? Would you dare bring this to lap swim at a community pool or would you fear that the guards would throw you out? I'm thinking about a pace pal for practices where there is no pace clock. Is this better?This is easy to carry around as it has a handle on the top; the Amazon specs say it is 13.2 pounds and even a dry-land-weakling like me can carry it. Depending upon your energy philosophy, it is also more portable as it is battery powered. I doubt the lifeguards would throw you out. If you are planning to do any 25/75 sets that have you at the opposite end of the pool, this is way better than pace pal. I have a small digital clock that I have used for the past four years, but the digits are too small to see at the other end of the pool. When I got my pacepal, I'd set one up at each end of the pool. Now that the pacepal is dead, I do the same with the accusplit. When I'm swimming in the bright sun and can't find shade for my digital clock (red LED), I just use the accusplit. Given the exorbitant cost of most pace clocks, this sub $100 one is a great deal, in my books. The only caveat I'd give is that I've only had it for about 6 weeks, so I cannot comment on its longevity.
  • I bought the Pace Pal a few years ago and use it a lot. It's great to have in the water for a long swim (I use it during USMS Postals and other extended swims) and great to have on deck right at the end of my lane when working out. I also use it for timing dryland workouts, particularly when I ride my bike on the trainer.I had one and loved it while it worked, but it only lasted about two years for me before the waterproof seal broke. Disappointed. I just picked up this guy -- www.amazon.com/.../B00247LOXE -- from Amazon and have been very happy with it. Granted, it's not super-portable if you're driving to/from pools, but it is doable and visible from the opposite end of a 25M pool.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I made a personal pace clock and posted it here a while ago, but I can't find the thread now. I bought a 7" clock at Target for 4.99, snapped the plastic face cover off, took off the hands, glued a pace clock face over the original face (you'll want to laminate it), put the minute and second hands back on, and snapped the clear cover back on. If anyone wants the jpeg image of the pace face I'll post it again. If you're really a big spender you can buy a sweep-second mechanism for anoth $5 online, and even a nice big red second hand too.