Safe pool temperature for various health conditions

The noodlers have succeeded, again, in getting the pool temperature raised to 86 degrees! :bitching: I have sent an e-mail to the American Red Cross, however, the more information I gather, the better! If any of you have any published articles on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the e-mail I sent to the American Red cross: Hello, I live in an adult community with an indoor swimming pool. After doing internet research, I am still not sure of a definitive recommendation of appropriate water temperatures for the following: 1. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have high blood pressure or other heart conditions. 2. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have diabetes. In addition, what is the recommended air temperature and humidity percentage for an indoor pool? The pool temperature in our community was raised from 84 to 86, so I am trying to build a case for lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents. And, it is my guess that most of the residents using the pool have either high blood pressure, other heart conditions, diabetes, or other health conditions making it a health risk to exercise in 86 degree water. Any assistance and documentation you can provide would be most appreciated! Thank you very much, Elaine Krugman Thanks, Forumites, for any documentation you send my way! By the way, if you can post links in the forums, perhaps it would help others, as well, who are battling the same issues. If you have articles to send as attachments, please send me a PM and I will provide you my e-mail address. Thanks! Elaine P.S. Anna Lea: If you see this, does USMS have any "official" documentation at your offices?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Just a quick story about a confrontation I had with a manatee. One of the in-town pools (that keeps the temp at 84) had some sort of mechanical problem, and the pool temp dropped to 80. I loved it. It lasted for a whole week like that. At the end of my workout one day, an aerobics class was starting up. I resent them as it is, because they usurp 4 of the 6 lanes for the class. (Any remaining lap swimmers have to circle in the last two lanes, but we know the schedule and all try to get out at the witching hour.) What irks me about this class is that, yes, it's large, but they don't use the whole lanes. They stick to the shallow end. (Pool depth varies from 3.5 to 5.5 feet.) That's why they need 4 lanes. But they would perfectly fill the instructional pool at that facility. (It varies in depth from 3 to 3.5 feet.) Anyway, one of the aerobic ladies was really giving it to the chief life guard because of how cold the water was. I broke in, and suggested that they'd be plenty warm in the small pool. She said then need the deeper water because they jump. (If I hadn't been worn out from a good workout, I would have burst out laughing.) I just said, "Jump? You ladies hardly move! If you all would work your legs and arms as hard as you work your jaws during the sesion, you'd stay warm even in the 80 degree water!" Of course, that didn't go over well. Conversation disintegrated at that point. I knew I had been out of line, but the drive home felt especially satisfying that morning.
  • Former Member
    Have you thought about contacting the Arthritis Foundation? They have set guidelines for pool temps. I swim at a 24Hour Fitness gym pool, so the water is usually cool, which I love, but the noodlers hate. And I'm one of those rare people that cool water does not affect my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It actually HELPS me to swim in cooler water. With the demographic of people that are using your pool, I'm pretty sure they all have some form of arthritis.
  • Former Member
    Dear Elaine, I see you have touched on a hot subject. My email is aatorpy@sbcglobal.net. Art
  • Thanks for posting this, Anna Lea. :)
  • Former Member
    This is possibly the best explanation I have ever read for the reasoning behind a facility's choice of water and air temperature. It is from the Lawrence, Kansas, Aquatic Center. (URL: www.lawrenceks.org/.../faq): Why does the temperature of the water feel cold? We regulate the temperature of the air and water separately for both the competition and leisure pools at the Indoor Aquatic Center. The competition pool water is maintained at 82°, and the air temperature of the competition pool is approximately 85-87 degrees. The leisure pool water is maintained at 87°, and the air temperature of the leisure pool is approximately 89°-90°. So, the air temperature is generally 2-5 degrees higher than the water temperature. The digital thermostats that operate the pool boilers function with one degree of differential. Basically, the thermostat is set to 87°. The boiler turns on when the water temperature lowers one degree from the set point, or 86 degrees. The boiler then turns off when the thermostat reaches one degree above the set point, or 88°. The water temperature is closely regulated for our competition pool. However, everyone’s bodies are different and everyone perceives temperature differently. (It's like in an office building where some people are freezing and others are hot even though they are in the same room). But, if there is a gross change in water temperature due to a malfunction, we generally know about it pretty quick since water tests are conducted bi-hourly. The competition pools at both the Indoor Aquatic Center and Carl Knox Natatorium are maintained at optimum national standard temperatures for competitive workouts and fitness. There are some competitions, mostly national meets with specific facility standards, where the water temperature is lowered from its normal 82° down to 80°. However, those meets are held very infrequently, and notices are always posted in advance to alert swimmers of the change. Water temperatures don’t fluctuate quickly, and at the Indoor Aquatic Center, having almost a million gallons of water, it generally takes 24 hours for the temperature to go up or down by one degree.
  • I suggest a referendum. Early results show one vote for 84 degrees. Awww, Jim; I see you edited your post and removed a Smilie. Why would you want to do that? :D Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately...), the board made a decision without it going to a community vote. At least they made a decision based on the facts I provided from the American Red Cross and other legitimate sources, rather than subjective opinions. Although I'm not happy with the 85 degree temp. they settled on for the winter months, they at least have neglected to keep the air at the 80 degrees they said they would maintain. (We have had cold air temps. in Georgia; 20-25 degrees below normal. So, the air has maxed at a very comfortable 70 degrees.) In summer, they promised to keep the pool at 82 degrees. I'll take that over 84, for sure! But, I'm betting they will have a heck of a time trying to keep the air temp. down to 80, when the outside air reaches 100+. We'll see...
  • Former Member
    I suggest a referendum. Early results show one vote for 84 degrees.
  • I have an opposite question. I was in Tampa last week (I live in OH) and swam outdoors. (At a YMCA!!! What a switch from OH.) The heater had been broken so 1st day water was 79. Last day it was 83. I loved the water. Air temp was low 50's and it was fairly windy. I didn't notice anything about inhaling the cold air as I swam, but would some people have trouble with their breathing during these temps? Would it be bad for you? Apparently no one wanted to swim that week. I was the only one there. In Nor Cal, we swim in outdoor heated pools year-round. In the winter, it can be in the upper 30s to low 40s some mornings. I've never heard anybody complain that inhaling cold air was a problem when the weather is like that (and I've never noticed it as a problem myself), but people do complain about their arms getting cold during the recovery phase of their strokes.
  • Air temp was low 50's...but would some people have trouble with their breathing during these temps? I guess this proves different people have different opinions of what cold is! I've swum in pools many times in below freezing temperatures and I think it feels great. The feeling of getting snowed on while you're swimming is unique! The warm water is going to keep the air right at the waterline much warmer. And besides, how would this be any different than breathing when it's cold outside when you're not swimming?
  • I have an opposite question. I was in Tampa last week (I live in OH) and swam outdoors. (At a YMCA!!! What a switch from OH.) The heater had been broken so 1st day water was 79. Last day it was 83. I loved the water. Air temp was low 50's and it was fairly windy. I didn't notice anything about inhaling the cold air as I swam, but would some people have trouble with their breathing during these temps? Would it be bad for you? Apparently no one wanted to swim that week. I was the only one there. Our weekend and afternoon pool is bubbled in and not sealed by any means. We swim there when it is below 30 outside and the pool temp is around 80. It is cold, very cold, but I have never had a problem breathing during these times. You can see the pool I'm talking about here in this interview with my coach (I was not at this practice so I'm not in the video) tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../7519 Notice the glass doors on one side. On both ends are removable "bubble" doors. It's nice to have all this air flow in the summer but not once it gets cold. It is very cold in this pool now.