Safe pool temperature for various health conditions

The noodlers have succeeded, again, in getting the pool temperature raised to 86 degrees! :bitching: I have sent an e-mail to the American Red Cross, however, the more information I gather, the better! If any of you have any published articles on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the e-mail I sent to the American Red cross: Hello, I live in an adult community with an indoor swimming pool. After doing internet research, I am still not sure of a definitive recommendation of appropriate water temperatures for the following: 1. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have high blood pressure or other heart conditions. 2. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have diabetes. In addition, what is the recommended air temperature and humidity percentage for an indoor pool? The pool temperature in our community was raised from 84 to 86, so I am trying to build a case for lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents. And, it is my guess that most of the residents using the pool have either high blood pressure, other heart conditions, diabetes, or other health conditions making it a health risk to exercise in 86 degree water. Any assistance and documentation you can provide would be most appreciated! Thank you very much, Elaine Krugman Thanks, Forumites, for any documentation you send my way! By the way, if you can post links in the forums, perhaps it would help others, as well, who are battling the same issues. If you have articles to send as attachments, please send me a PM and I will provide you my e-mail address. Thanks! Elaine P.S. Anna Lea: If you see this, does USMS have any "official" documentation at your offices?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Hey, I don't have any statistics, but how about doing a cost analysis of the heating bill -- per degree of Farenheit? Our pool did an informal cost analysis, and for each degree above 82 F, they found an increase of about $3000 per month for heating. Sometimes money speaks louder than words. :) In these days of tight budgets, I think this is the way to go. What are the details of the pool for which you did the analysis? I've been trying to make the argument that we could save considerable money by keeping our 50 m pool at 81° rather than 83°. But, I didn't have even an informal estimate of potential savings. $3000 per month per degree might get people's attention. I assume that we could also count on savings on chemicals since chlorine is much more effective at lower temperatures. Thanks!
  • Former Member
    A thought, those with high blood pressure should actually curb their appetite for hard swimming. I think you will find that the cost per degree of heat is not $3000.00 per degree a month as others had mentioned. My total bill for keeping a pool at 90 to 92 degrees is $3200.00 a month and that also includes dehumidification and heat. The pool is 20' wide and 60' long, average depth 4.5 feet. we keep the humidity at 55% and the air at 86 degrees. We do keep the pool covered at night, to stop evaporation which cools the water.
  • Personal observation. Warmer water leads to more skin problems. I teach and warm water is good for extended periods of little activity. Cooler water is better for working out. Anything over 89 is too hot and gives me a rash. By the way, my age qualifies me as a senior.
  • I forgot something. The difference between air and water temp is more important than the actual water temp.
  • I forgot something. The difference between air and water temp is more important than the actual water temp. I agree -- I swim in a pool that is too warm (often 85, sometimes warmer) but the air temperature is often 80 and sometimes lower. This makes everyone complain (especially the little kids and swim instructors who do a lot of standing in the shallow end) that it's too cold. Then they crank up the up heat...again.
  • Hot water, warm water, cool water, cold water. Why complain? Assuming she is paying to use the facility, she should be able to give her opinion on the temperature of the pool. It is more difficult to do an intense workout in hot temps. 86 degrees is unbearable...I would never train regularly at a pool that high. Unfortunately, based on the link philoswimmer posted, it looks like 86 is appropriate for many activities. lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents If the majority truly want it lower, I would think a simple petition would suffice. Did you ask the aquatics director why the temperature was raised?
  • I forgot something. The difference between air and water temp is more important than the actual water temp. Really? I'm not sure that's true. This time of year in No. Cal, the air temp is in the 40s, or sometimes even high 30s. The pool is about 80-81. It's nice at first to be able to get into a warm pool, but once I start getting into the workout, I usually end up wishing it were a little cooler.
  • Former Member
    Hot water, warm water, cool water, cold water. Why complain? just be happy you have a pool to swim in. I have heard pools are closing. Be grateful that the people who want warmer water are going in numbers that help keep the pool open. Make your work outs short and work out more often.
  • I assumed the "difference between air and water temp" reference was to the effect on noodlers and little kids who will be standing around much of the time. If the air temp is 74 and the water temp is 83 it will be more uncomfortable to stand around than if the air temp was 78. Norascats, was my interpretation on your statement correct? S
  • Former Member
    Drinking enough fluids isn't sufficient. At some point you just have to cool off. In the heat, you can: 1- Get dehydrated 2- Get your electrolytes out of balance (hyponatremia). Drinking only plain water makes this worse - it dilutes already low levels of electrolytes. 3- Get your core body temperature too high. Sweating is your body's cooling mechanism. In high humidity or submerged, it isn't very effective; yet you'll still lose water and electrolytes.