Safe pool temperature for various health conditions

The noodlers have succeeded, again, in getting the pool temperature raised to 86 degrees! :bitching: I have sent an e-mail to the American Red Cross, however, the more information I gather, the better! If any of you have any published articles on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the e-mail I sent to the American Red cross: Hello, I live in an adult community with an indoor swimming pool. After doing internet research, I am still not sure of a definitive recommendation of appropriate water temperatures for the following: 1. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have high blood pressure or other heart conditions. 2. Adults (55 years old or older) swimming laps and/or participating in water aerobics who have diabetes. In addition, what is the recommended air temperature and humidity percentage for an indoor pool? The pool temperature in our community was raised from 84 to 86, so I am trying to build a case for lowering the temperature to suit the needs of the majority of our residents. And, it is my guess that most of the residents using the pool have either high blood pressure, other heart conditions, diabetes, or other health conditions making it a health risk to exercise in 86 degree water. Any assistance and documentation you can provide would be most appreciated! Thank you very much, Elaine Krugman Thanks, Forumites, for any documentation you send my way! By the way, if you can post links in the forums, perhaps it would help others, as well, who are battling the same issues. If you have articles to send as attachments, please send me a PM and I will provide you my e-mail address. Thanks! Elaine P.S. Anna Lea: If you see this, does USMS have any "official" documentation at your offices?
Parents
  • Elaine: Do the "noodlers" swim every day? It could be possible for Mon-Weds-Fri to be warm water days with Tue-Thurs-Sat-Sun cooler days for the swimmers? Perhaps the swimmers who swim 6x per week could tolerate warmth for 2 days if they knew it would be cool the other 4. Just a thought.......................................... No, they don't. Nobody uses the pool as much as I do. Nobody even uses it three times per week on a consistent basis The most frequent pool users use the pool (maybe) three times per week in the summer and hit-and-miss in the winter. Today, there were two participants in water aerobics class. During most of the year, six is max almost all of the time. In the summer months, maybe 10-15 class participants, but the cast of characters is always changing... Posting the letter I just sent to the board would answer many of the posts, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. Sorry for the long post, but at least I'm sparing you the color/font from here on out! :D November 30, 2010 Dear SCP HOA Board of Directors, I would like to know what the HOA’s policy is for the indoor pool water temperature, humidity level and air temperature. Are definitive guidelines in place? If so, what are these specific guidelines? Since the amenity center opened in April, 2008, the indoor pool water temperature has been set at 86 degrees, except for a couple of summer months, when it was lowered to 84 degrees. The humidity level has been in the range of 70-82%, for most of that time. Today, it was at 82%. (For a very short time, when the HVAC system was working correctly, it was at 60%). During the summer months, the indoor pool air temperature exceeded 90 degrees in the afternoons, and was never at the recommended 80 degrees or below. American Red Cross and several other authorities on water health and safety recommend the following: Indoor pool water temperature: 78 – 82 degrees for lap swimming A maximum of 83 degrees for water exercise classes; 80 degrees is recommended A maximum of 84 degrees for anybody exercising in water who has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), high blood pressure or other heart conditions. (This includes some of our water aerobics class participants.) Indoor Pool Humidity: 50-60% Indoor Pool Air Temperature: 80 degrees maximum The higher the humidity and air temperature, the lower the water temperature should be, according to the American Red Cross and medical experts. Every American Red Cross recommendation has been exceeded, on most days, since our indoor pool was opened. According to the International Fitness Association, “Temperatures which are above 85 degrees place an unusual stress on the cardiovascular system.” (Source: International Fitness Association training manual for fitness instructor certification) Wayne Robinson, SCP Trainer, contacted the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF), regarding these issues. They replied in an e-mail, “Thank you for contacting the National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF). The proper pool temperature is between 75-85 degrees and the high-low range is dependent upon the humidity within the building of the pool.” I think it would be a fair guess to say that most of the residents who use the swimming pool have high blood pressure or other health issues that put them at risk, swimming in an 86 degree pool with humidity ranging from 70-82%. I swim 5-6 days per week, 1-11/2 hours per day, and check the air and water conditions each day I enter the pool area. I believe I am the only person monitoring the conditions of the pool on an almost daily basis. It is my belief that the HOA should be aware of the indoor pool conditions and should understand the health risks involved, when exercising in water aerobics classes or swimming laps, in such warm water. Medical facts and American Red Cross recommendations should dictate what the water temperature and humidity level should be, rather than the subjective opinions of a few residents who feel the water is “too cold” at 84 degrees. The health and safety of all of our residents should take priority. But, if this is not a priority, perhaps the cost of heating the pool will get the attention of the Board of Directors and the residents of this community. According to the representative from the Carolina Lakes Del Webb community who conducted tours of the amenity center during the grand opening, it costs them $1,000 per degree for every degree the water heater is set above 82 degrees. At our current water temperature of 86 degrees, that equates to $4,000 per month! If heating costs are the same at Sun City Peachtree, this money could be better spent elsewhere, rather than overheating our pool. Thank you, Elaine Krugman
  • Elaine: Do the "noodlers" swim every day? It could be possible for Mon-Weds-Fri to be warm water days with Tue-Thurs-Sat-Sun cooler days for the swimmers? Perhaps the swimmers who swim 6x per week could tolerate warmth for 2 days if they knew it would be cool the other 4. Just a thought.......................................... No, they don't. Nobody uses the pool as much as I do. Nobody even uses it three times per week on a consistent basis The most frequent pool users use the pool (maybe) three times per week in the summer and hit-and-miss in the winter. Today, there were two participants in water aerobics class. During most of the year, six is max almost all of the time. In the summer months, maybe 10-15 class participants, but the cast of characters is always changing... Posting the letter I just sent to the board would answer many of the posts, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. Sorry for the long post, but at least I'm sparing you the color/font from here on out! :D November 30, 2010 Dear SCP HOA Board of Directors, I would like to know what the HOA’s policy is for the indoor pool water temperature, humidity level and air temperature. Are definitive guidelines in place? If so, what are these specific guidelines? Since the amenity center opened in April, 2008, the indoor pool water temperature has been set at 86 degrees, except for a couple of summer months, when it was lowered to 84 degrees. The humidity level has been in the range of 70-82%, for most of that time. Today, it was at 82%. (For a very short time, when the HVAC system was working correctly, it was at 60%). During the summer months, the indoor pool air temperature exceeded 90 degrees in the afternoons, and was never at the recommended 80 degrees or below. American Red Cross and several other authorities on water health and safety recommend the following: Indoor pool water temperature: 78 – 82 degrees for lap swimming A maximum of 83 degrees for water exercise classes; 80 degrees is recommended A maximum of 84 degrees for anybody exercising in water who has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), high blood pressure or other heart conditions. (This includes some of our water aerobics class participants.) Indoor Pool Humidity: 50-60% Indoor Pool Air Temperature: 80 degrees maximum The higher the humidity and air temperature, the lower the water temperature should be, according to the American Red Cross and medical experts. Every American Red Cross recommendation has been exceeded, on most days, since our indoor pool was opened. According to the International Fitness Association, “Temperatures which are above 85 degrees place an unusual stress on the cardiovascular system.” (Source: International Fitness Association training manual for fitness instructor certification) Wayne Robinson, SCP Trainer, contacted the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF), regarding these issues. They replied in an e-mail, “Thank you for contacting the National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF). The proper pool temperature is between 75-85 degrees and the high-low range is dependent upon the humidity within the building of the pool.” I think it would be a fair guess to say that most of the residents who use the swimming pool have high blood pressure or other health issues that put them at risk, swimming in an 86 degree pool with humidity ranging from 70-82%. I swim 5-6 days per week, 1-11/2 hours per day, and check the air and water conditions each day I enter the pool area. I believe I am the only person monitoring the conditions of the pool on an almost daily basis. It is my belief that the HOA should be aware of the indoor pool conditions and should understand the health risks involved, when exercising in water aerobics classes or swimming laps, in such warm water. Medical facts and American Red Cross recommendations should dictate what the water temperature and humidity level should be, rather than the subjective opinions of a few residents who feel the water is “too cold” at 84 degrees. The health and safety of all of our residents should take priority. But, if this is not a priority, perhaps the cost of heating the pool will get the attention of the Board of Directors and the residents of this community. According to the representative from the Carolina Lakes Del Webb community who conducted tours of the amenity center during the grand opening, it costs them $1,000 per degree for every degree the water heater is set above 82 degrees. At our current water temperature of 86 degrees, that equates to $4,000 per month! If heating costs are the same at Sun City Peachtree, this money could be better spent elsewhere, rather than overheating our pool. Thank you, Elaine Krugman
Children
No Data