According to new study Chlorinated pools may lead to cancer

Has anyone else seen this information? I have been swimming regularly in chlorinated pools my whole life. Frankly, this really scares me. Can anyone make me feel better about this? I don't plan to stop swimming any time soon. Your thoughts? www.everymantri.com/.../swimming-in-chlorinated-pools-may-lead-to-cancer-new-studies-find.html
  • . it seems like a far more important issue than (dare i say?) tech suits. Oh God! :dedhorse: Die already! Okay - back on topic. I agree with Chris and his thoughts on the comparisons between swimming in chlorinated pools and other more common carcinogens. I mean - think about it this way: How long have we been swimming in chlorinated pools over the years? 50-60+ years at least? Even today we have the opportunity to be using better chemicals, better facilities, and more advanced monitoring technologies. This being said - people cut corners. You know it, I know it. I personally am not terribly concerned. From the linked Discovery article: The studies were small, and they found a rise in blood markers that have been associated with cancer -- not a rise in cancer itself. Also from the linked Discovery article: Swimmers can make a difference, too. By simply showering before they get in the pool, they wash off much of the organic material that reacts with chlorine to produce toxic byproducts. Swimming, Kogevinas added, is still healthier than not exercising. So take from it what you will. However I'm going to worry about the fact that every time I have to be outside in the summer I need about a 30 gallon covering of DEET before the disease infested mosquitoes that I'm allergic to will finally leave me alone far more so than I'm going to worry about being in a chlorinated pool.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Everyone born 150 years ago is 100% dead. Then again, probably not everyone who is born today will be dead in 150 years. It can easily be possible that newborns can live a much longer life span than people live now.
  • Oh and I forgot to mention a couple more things: 1) These pools are public pools, meaning people who use them are less likely to be people who take care of them (as opposed to the high school pools I swim in for my practices) 2) There were only 3 studies done by my count. In one of those studies: They identified more than 100 chemical byproducts in the water. Many were toxic. Some had never been found in swimming pools or in chlorine-treated drinking water. 3) These were also in Barcelona Spain. I'm not really keen on the regulations and rules, but perhaps the standards and rules are different between Spain and America? Just my :2cents:
  • Former Member
    Then again, probably not everyone who is born today will be dead in 150 years. It can easily be possible that newborns can live a much longer life span than people live now. Pretty difficult to argue this with you since you and I will be dead :bump:
  • I think my take away at this point is if I find myself in a pool where I'm having problems breathing or the chemical balance is clearly wrong I'm going to get out. It's not worth the risk.
  • Still haven't read the original source articles, so with that in mind: It isn't just 3 studies. Chlorinated DBPs (disinfection by-products) were first detected decades ago. Look in almost any textbook on water treatment (drinking, sewage) and you'll find a section on it. Many of the chemical listed have been identified as potential or probable human carcinogens. Nothing controversial about any of that. Heck, non-swimmers' greatest exposure level to volatile chlorinated DBPs like chloroform probably happens in the shower (hot water will increase the vapor pressure of volatile chemicals). What is controversial is the degree to which environmental carcinogens actually contribute to incidences of human cancer. Some dismiss it as negligible, others do not. Due to the long lag period for cancer, it is hard to assign "blame," so to speak, from epidemiological studies. I suspect the paper is aimed at investigating this aspect of swimming pool chlorination. Focusing on cancer is pretty understandable: it is a scary disease and, from a regulatory standpoint, there is no threshold level for carcinogens. That implies that guarding against cancer will guard against other health effects. But with respect to pools, personally I am much more concerned about those other effects. I'm with Kirk: if you are having trouble breathing, it isn't good, and not just because of cancer. Most people know (or they should) that repeated high-intensity exercise in the outdoors during ozone-alert days will reduce lung function permanently; it isn't hard to imagine the same thing happening in swimming pools due to chlorination DBPs with long-term exposure. People in sensitive populations (eg asthmatics, people with COPD) will be even more at risk. I had to smile at the phrase about "investigating alternative methods of disinfection." They've been known and used for years. In some -- maybe most -- cases they are more expensive. I'll have to ask my coach (who is also the facilities manager at the pools where I usually swim) about the economics of the uv and ozone treatments that he uses, and any other info about it.
  • Ultimately, I don't think any of us who love swimming would stopping because of this. I know I won't. However, I agree that I'd like to see more attention to this issue and a bigger effort to provide (less toxic) alternatives. I don't know of any non-chlorine pools in my area of the country (Cincinnati, OH). Those of you who have a choice are lucky. Someone made a very good point that allayed some of my fears about this. If this were a really large risk, I think we would have heard some news indicating that swimmers have a much higher rate of cancer vs. the general population. I have not heard anything like that. In fact, I have only read stories about how swimmers may live longer as result of their participation in swimming.
  • Former Member
    No, it isn't bunk, it isn't even all that controversial. thanks chris. i've been disappointed at how issues relating health and chemical exposure have been easily dismissed by many on this forum. i would like to see organizations such as usa swimming, fina, and usms take a proactive approach to create better standards for aquatic facilities to follow for their members. it seems like a far more important issue than (dare i say?) tech suits.
  • Former Member
    I'm pretty sure I'm dying of cancer anyways... i don't think there's a thing you can do in life that hasn't been linked to cancer in some obscure study so what's the worry with swimming? :applaud: