The SDK Lane

We love to SDK. It's the 5th stroke. It takes skill, strength, flexibility, conditioning & mental toughness. For many it's the 2nd fastest stroke, but it's not a legal stroke. We wish it was legal. We wish there weren't 15 m restrictions in races. We count our kicks because kicks count. We train to SDK faster. Some call SDKs underwaters or dolphins. What are you doing to improve your SDK? How many do you take in each race? Help! My SDK is Horrible! has many tips & a program to get faster. Here's a helpful post in it. What are your SDK times? 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 & 200? Spend some time in the SDK lane & you'll be kicking faster before you know it. the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
  • I intend to do more 50s (in short course) where the swim is close to race pace, but the walls are at 50 free race pace. These drills will have gobs of rest, as the intent is to concentrate on technique and feel at speed. If I may suggest: Try doing (what I was taught were called) "Texas 50s". Start in the middle of the pool and do your 50s. You'll get an extra flip turn practice as well as SDK practice. :)
  • If I may suggest: Try doing (what I was taught were called) "Texas 50s". Start in the middle of the pool and do your 50s. You'll get an extra flip turn practice as well as SDK practice. :)But.... the pool is too deep! :) Thanks for the suggestion.
  • But.... the pool is too deep! :) Thanks for the suggestion. Tread? ;)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Great discussion. Just curious...how do you determine how many kicks from the wall the mean velocity of the SDK and your mean regular swimming velocity intersect? Or do you believe that your mean SDK velocity is always higher than your mean regular swimming velocity?
  • Great discussion. Just curious... how do you determine how many kicks from the wall the mean velocity of the SDK and your mean regular swimming velocity intersect? Or do you believe that your mean SDK velocity is always higher than your mean regular swimming velocity? I call that your sweet spot or idea kick count. SDK velocity vs Swimming velocity is different for every swimmer and every event. My suggestions are: + Train to improve your SDK speed, strengthen legs for better dives & push offs improve streamline improve SDK technique & timing improve foot flexibility + Train to improve your SDK speed endurance & breath control + Identify your SDK strengths & weaknesses like I'm faster on my back than I am on my belly, I'm not so great with breath control and drop my SDK kick count in 200's + Train for many months to improve your SDK ability + Experiment to determine your SDK kick counts for each race If your SDK is terrible & slow, your SDK kick should probably should be 0 mine are 50 fr 5 or 6 100 fr 3 or 4 200 fr 2 or 3 50 fl 8 to 10 100 fl 6 to 8 50 bk 12 100 bk 10 100 IM fl 8 bk 8 to 10 fr 4 or 5 200 IM fl 6 bk 5 fr 3
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I just wanted to recommend freestylers watch Ryan Lochte's 200 free win over Tae Hwan Park in the 2010 Pan Pacs (video available on youtube). He used SDK off the turns really well in that race, and it seems his SDK of the final turn was faster than Tae Hwan's final 50...which is usually brutally fast. YouTube- Pan Pacs '10: Ryan Lochte wins the 200 Free (Universal Sports)
  • SDK off of every single solitary wall. Warm-up, EZ swimming, moderate training, and fast racing. Huge mental game at the beginning which soon becomes a great long fast habit. I hope you're right - I can really get out of breath doing this, but I've noticed that my competition seems to get ahead of me on every turn this way, and then I have to work even harder between the walls!
  • I hope you're right - I can really get out of breath doing this, but I've noticed that my competition seems to get ahead of me on every turn this way, and then I have to work even harder between the walls! So what you're saying is that learning to SDK more effectively will then be a function of becoming lazier? :rofl: I LIKE IT!
  • Finally got around to timing an underwater 25m SDK today. From a pushoff it was 16 sec on the pace clock. Good or bad? Positively awful. You want to have at least a 30 or a 40 second..... we're going for high score right? Actually not that we should compare ourselves to people like Ryan Lochte, but you can find vids of him on youtube doing a 50 SCY in something faster than 25 seconds. Of course - that being a "some day I'd really like to be less than double that" goal seems totally attainable! :D
  • Just for reference what size are lochte's feet? Yes... I always carry a camera :) Have been waiting for just the right place to post these shoes!