The Breaststroke Lane

The Breastroke Lane, This is a place for breastrokers Unite some call it EVIL STROKE, It's a weird stroke, Inspired from frogs lot's of resistance, takes strength & technique it helps to have strong legs & feet that turn out you get slower intervals & have a built in advantage in IMs figure out your order and make the sets you spend much of your time underwater, holding your breath while your lungs are about to burst. chat some between sets and on easy kicks talk to each other What did you do in practice today? the breastroke lane The Middle Distance Lane The Backstroke Lane The Butterfly Lane The SDK Lane The Taper Lane The Distance Lane The IM Lane The Sprint Free Lane The Pool Deck
Parents
  • Resurrecting this thread because I like talking about breaststroke and answering questions.Any breaststrokers or would be breaststrokers who want to converse?

• Any advice on strengthening support muscles in the groin region?  I'm only a breaststroker since I started back up in Masters 3+ years ago, and every once in awhile I hit a breaststroke kick wrong and pull something in the groin and can't really breaststroke kick for a couple weeks.  It usually happens if I get lazy or fatigued, and it kind of makes me nervous to swim the 200 breast at all.  Or maybe it's just a consequence of getting older...

• Any advice on strengthening support muscles in the groin region?  I'm only a breaststroker since I started back up in Masters 3+ years ago, and every once in awhile I hit a breaststroke kick wrong and pull something in the groin and can't really breaststroke kick for a couple weeks.  It usually happens if I get lazy or fatigued, and it kind of makes me nervous to swim the 200 breast at all.  Or maybe it's just a consequence of getting older...

Children
  • There are gym machines that strengthen that area, but I haven't found them helpful especially. The best thing I have found is to swim at least 200 yd of very slow breastsroke in warm up to get the area loose. Also while I do most of my work out at race pace I don't go over 250 yd full stroke as the kick just puts so much stress on the knees. I see it as a stress like like pitching a baseball and pitchers have a maximum pitch count.I also make sure I do groin stretching as part of my stretches after the workout. One question, do you keep your knees fairly close together during the kick, no more than 2 fists apart? If your knees are wider, there is more drag, less of your force is making you go forward, and ,most importantly for your question, it puts more strain on the groin muscles.