USMS Rules question: Initial distance

Does anyone know the rationale behind USMS rule 103.13.1(B)(1)? Specifically, this says that in order for an initial distance split to count as an "official time" (and thus, eligible for records, top-ten, etc.), the swimmer must notify the meet referee in writing before the end of the meet. Does anyone know why we insist on this level of administrivia? This means that, technically, even as a meet director... if I notice that someone's 1000 split on their 1650 would be a new record... it's not a new record unless I remind the swimmer him/herself to write down on a piece of paper "Please make my split time count", and hand it to the referee. Before they leave the pool at the end of the meet. In USA Swimming, the paperwork isn't necessary. Your 1000 split counts, without any paperwork, as long as it's valid, you finished the event, etc., etc. But you don't need silly paperwork. So why do we insist on this paperwork in USMS? This seems like something that is doing us all a massive disservice as I'm sure many many potential records and top ten performances are being missed. If you swim a 1650, and your initial 1000 was a certain time... then your initial 1000 was that time, regardless of any paperwork you submit by the end of the meet. (This is separate from setting up an expectation that these splits will be automatically submitted. That's a separate issue. My only issue is that if the swimmer does not write something down on a post-it note, that the window of opportunity closes, and there is no way to un-close the window the way the rulebook is written.) I suppose the solution is to amend the disclaimer/waiver language for our meet entries to include a sentence "I HEREBY REQUEST TO THE REFEREE THAT EVERY INITIAL DISTANCE OF EVERY EVENT THAT I SWIM BE CONSIDERED AS AN OFFICIAL TIME.", and then that part of the rule is satisfied. If the USMS Rules Committee insists, I can photocopy all of our entry forms, and hand them to the Referee before the end of the meet. -Rick
Parents
  • There was a time when it was against USMS rules to use split times for official times at all. The only way that reinstating the use of split times for official times would have passed the House of Delegates was if: 1. they were timed by auotmatic timing only (no backup timing, manual, or semi-automatic timing particularly because of timing discrepancies with timers at the opposite end of the start for a 50 meter split in a long course event), 2. the swimmer completed the full race without being disqualified and all four swimmers completed the relay without being disqualified (otherwise one person would swim the first leg and no other swimmers would be there to finish the relay), 3. the swimmer requested the split time in writing prior to the swim for all events (so the LMSC Top 10 and records person would not be expected to extrapolate all the splits from every meet - too much work), 4. the second swimmer in a relay did not start in the water (creating a potential for interference with the timing pad), and 5. the swimmer used a legal finish at the initial distance. Thank you, Kathy. So (addressing Rick and others) it seems the main reason for requesting the splits by the end of the meet is because it is too much work for TT recorders; the other reasons don't really apply to the deadline issue, except for the need to request some splits before the race to (a) ensure a legal finish in the case of backstroke; and (b) ensure timing accuracy in the case of relay leadoffs. Both of those seem reasonable. It is true that split requests do increase the workload of TT recorders. Like Jeff, I usually do these manually and it is a bit of a kludge. If I had to do a lot -- as Walt does at nationals -- I would have to find a different way of doing them. Probably I would use Team Manager, as Jeff does. Not all TTRs have access to TM. But I don't think that extending the deadline would add all that much more work, unless split requests become much more common than I would expect them to be. If they did, then a tool along the lines that Jim M proposed -- where someone could check a box some sort of meet results/database page to request that a specific split count -- would be a great solution. The more I think about it, though, I think the most appropriate deadline would be "by the end of the current season" as defined in the USMS rule book. I just think it muddies the water too much to retroactively (after the season ends) declare that a particular split is an official time. Anyway, I can bring this up at a future Recs & Tabulation Committee meeting and see what happens. But if Rick wants to ensure that there is a proposal at the next Convention to change the existing rule -- or that such a proposal is crafted to his liking -- then he should submit one himself.
  • There was a time when it was against USMS rules to use split times for official times at all. The only way that reinstating the use of split times for official times would have passed the House of Delegates was if: 1. they were timed by auotmatic timing only (no backup timing, manual, or semi-automatic timing particularly because of timing discrepancies with timers at the opposite end of the start for a 50 meter split in a long course event), 2. the swimmer completed the full race without being disqualified and all four swimmers completed the relay without being disqualified (otherwise one person would swim the first leg and no other swimmers would be there to finish the relay), 3. the swimmer requested the split time in writing prior to the swim for all events (so the LMSC Top 10 and records person would not be expected to extrapolate all the splits from every meet - too much work), 4. the second swimmer in a relay did not start in the water (creating a potential for interference with the timing pad), and 5. the swimmer used a legal finish at the initial distance. Thank you, Kathy. So (addressing Rick and others) it seems the main reason for requesting the splits by the end of the meet is because it is too much work for TT recorders; the other reasons don't really apply to the deadline issue, except for the need to request some splits before the race to (a) ensure a legal finish in the case of backstroke; and (b) ensure timing accuracy in the case of relay leadoffs. Both of those seem reasonable. It is true that split requests do increase the workload of TT recorders. Like Jeff, I usually do these manually and it is a bit of a kludge. If I had to do a lot -- as Walt does at nationals -- I would have to find a different way of doing them. Probably I would use Team Manager, as Jeff does. Not all TTRs have access to TM. But I don't think that extending the deadline would add all that much more work, unless split requests become much more common than I would expect them to be. If they did, then a tool along the lines that Jim M proposed -- where someone could check a box some sort of meet results/database page to request that a specific split count -- would be a great solution. The more I think about it, though, I think the most appropriate deadline would be "by the end of the current season" as defined in the USMS rule book. I just think it muddies the water too much to retroactively (after the season ends) declare that a particular split is an official time. Anyway, I can bring this up at a future Recs & Tabulation Committee meeting and see what happens. But if Rick wants to ensure that there is a proposal at the next Convention to change the existing rule -- or that such a proposal is crafted to his liking -- then he should submit one himself.
Children
No Data