USMS Rules question: Initial distance

Does anyone know the rationale behind USMS rule 103.13.1(B)(1)? Specifically, this says that in order for an initial distance split to count as an "official time" (and thus, eligible for records, top-ten, etc.), the swimmer must notify the meet referee in writing before the end of the meet. Does anyone know why we insist on this level of administrivia? This means that, technically, even as a meet director... if I notice that someone's 1000 split on their 1650 would be a new record... it's not a new record unless I remind the swimmer him/herself to write down on a piece of paper "Please make my split time count", and hand it to the referee. Before they leave the pool at the end of the meet. In USA Swimming, the paperwork isn't necessary. Your 1000 split counts, without any paperwork, as long as it's valid, you finished the event, etc., etc. But you don't need silly paperwork. So why do we insist on this paperwork in USMS? This seems like something that is doing us all a massive disservice as I'm sure many many potential records and top ten performances are being missed. If you swim a 1650, and your initial 1000 was a certain time... then your initial 1000 was that time, regardless of any paperwork you submit by the end of the meet. (This is separate from setting up an expectation that these splits will be automatically submitted. That's a separate issue. My only issue is that if the swimmer does not write something down on a post-it note, that the window of opportunity closes, and there is no way to un-close the window the way the rulebook is written.) I suppose the solution is to amend the disclaimer/waiver language for our meet entries to include a sentence "I HEREBY REQUEST TO THE REFEREE THAT EVERY INITIAL DISTANCE OF EVERY EVENT THAT I SWIM BE CONSIDERED AS AN OFFICIAL TIME.", and then that part of the rule is satisfied. If the USMS Rules Committee insists, I can photocopy all of our entry forms, and hand them to the Referee before the end of the meet. -Rick
Parents
  • If you think the rule doesn't sufficiently guarantee the accuracy of the swim, why are you pushing to have the swims counted? Do you want the rule eliminated or tightened? What I'm saying is that notifying the referee after your swim has taken place doesn't do anything to increase the accuracy of the swim. Therefore, the rule is frivolous. Much of the rulebook regarding the accuracy of touchpad times, etc., largely depends on the judgement of the timing operator. As the timing operator at a number of masters meets, it would be trivial to fake out a finish time if I really wanted to. I am not saying that I have any issue or concern with the accuracy of the split time. I'm saying that the requirement of administrative paperwork within a certain time window (i.e., before the meet finishes) is not useful. If you are satisfied with the validity of split time, why can't your LSMC (or whatever "region" you are concerned about) simply make it a policy to accept split times for LMSC records? Because then we would be in violation of USMS rules! We might as well institute a rule that says we will recognize LMSC records in the butterfly, even if you got DQed for a 1-hand touch. How could a LMSC have a rule to recognize times that USMS won't recognize as valid? The USMS rule specifically mentions only Top Ten, USMS and FINA records, and I think you said that you are not concerned with those. No. The USMS rule (go read it) is about "Official Time". That's what rule 103.13 in its entirety is about. It's about what it takes for a time to be "official" in the eyes of USMS. 103.13.1(B) covers the parameters for an initial distance split. 103.13.1(B)(1) says that, as one of many requirements, you must notify the referee in writing before the end of the meet. Rule 103.13.3 (which, yes, is part of the 103.13 section) covers the specifics about what timing level (automatic, semi-automatic, etc.) is required for different kinds of records, etc. Note that it says that automatic timing (i.e., touchpads) are valid for initial splits for "all purposes". I.e., you can set a world record using a touchpad split time for an initial distance, as long as the other requirements are met. (As a technical note -- note that if a touchpad misfires at the finish of a race, your correctly adjusted time still counts as an "automatic" time. This is clarified by 103.13.6. However, if the pad misfires on the touch for your initial distance, then my interpretation is that you'd drop down to stopwatch times, and it would not be an "automatic" time. I believe, though it's not specifically stated, that the requirement for an adjustment to "automatic" time requires that all lanes have the same backup timing configuration. I.e., you'd need to have stopwatches and buttons record times for every lane for that initial distance, because you need those stopwatch/button times from the other lanes in order to correct the malfunctioning lane. Yes, this is confusing.) So again, the situation. You swim the 1500 LCM freestyle at a meet. You were out really quickly at the 800. You get home the day after the meet and realize that your 800 split is a new world record. Note that you do have several weeks (I forget how long) to file the appropriate paperwork for a new world record. However, you realize that you forgot to instruct the referee in writing before you left the meet that you wanted your 800 split to count. Since the meet is over, your opportunity is forever lost. You still have several weeks to file paperwork for the world record application, but you can't. Your time is invalid. We all know that your split was fine. We all know it should be a record. But you slipped up and forgot to file that little bit of administrivia, and that means no record. -Rick
  • If you think the rule doesn't sufficiently guarantee the accuracy of the swim, why are you pushing to have the swims counted? Do you want the rule eliminated or tightened? What I'm saying is that notifying the referee after your swim has taken place doesn't do anything to increase the accuracy of the swim. Therefore, the rule is frivolous. Much of the rulebook regarding the accuracy of touchpad times, etc., largely depends on the judgement of the timing operator. As the timing operator at a number of masters meets, it would be trivial to fake out a finish time if I really wanted to. I am not saying that I have any issue or concern with the accuracy of the split time. I'm saying that the requirement of administrative paperwork within a certain time window (i.e., before the meet finishes) is not useful. If you are satisfied with the validity of split time, why can't your LSMC (or whatever "region" you are concerned about) simply make it a policy to accept split times for LMSC records? Because then we would be in violation of USMS rules! We might as well institute a rule that says we will recognize LMSC records in the butterfly, even if you got DQed for a 1-hand touch. How could a LMSC have a rule to recognize times that USMS won't recognize as valid? The USMS rule specifically mentions only Top Ten, USMS and FINA records, and I think you said that you are not concerned with those. No. The USMS rule (go read it) is about "Official Time". That's what rule 103.13 in its entirety is about. It's about what it takes for a time to be "official" in the eyes of USMS. 103.13.1(B) covers the parameters for an initial distance split. 103.13.1(B)(1) says that, as one of many requirements, you must notify the referee in writing before the end of the meet. Rule 103.13.3 (which, yes, is part of the 103.13 section) covers the specifics about what timing level (automatic, semi-automatic, etc.) is required for different kinds of records, etc. Note that it says that automatic timing (i.e., touchpads) are valid for initial splits for "all purposes". I.e., you can set a world record using a touchpad split time for an initial distance, as long as the other requirements are met. (As a technical note -- note that if a touchpad misfires at the finish of a race, your correctly adjusted time still counts as an "automatic" time. This is clarified by 103.13.6. However, if the pad misfires on the touch for your initial distance, then my interpretation is that you'd drop down to stopwatch times, and it would not be an "automatic" time. I believe, though it's not specifically stated, that the requirement for an adjustment to "automatic" time requires that all lanes have the same backup timing configuration. I.e., you'd need to have stopwatches and buttons record times for every lane for that initial distance, because you need those stopwatch/button times from the other lanes in order to correct the malfunctioning lane. Yes, this is confusing.) So again, the situation. You swim the 1500 LCM freestyle at a meet. You were out really quickly at the 800. You get home the day after the meet and realize that your 800 split is a new world record. Note that you do have several weeks (I forget how long) to file the appropriate paperwork for a new world record. However, you realize that you forgot to instruct the referee in writing before you left the meet that you wanted your 800 split to count. Since the meet is over, your opportunity is forever lost. You still have several weeks to file paperwork for the world record application, but you can't. Your time is invalid. We all know that your split was fine. We all know it should be a record. But you slipped up and forgot to file that little bit of administrivia, and that means no record. -Rick
Children
No Data