Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • Dr. Ransom Arthur, USN, used to work out with us at San Diego State ('64, '65) and he wore goggles during workouts. He was a cool guy but no one thought his goggles were cool. Time has proven he was right and we were stupid. And as most of you already know, he later went on to become one of the founders of Masters Swimming. You know, now that you mention it, the cool factor did play a big part in what was worn in the pool when I was in high school. My best friend and I had real Jantzen racing suits, which were the envy of our team. Caps were okay for girls, but you wouldn't catch a guy dead in one. I also remember wearing goggles was like admitting you were afraid to open your eyes underwater. The one guy on the men's team that I recall always wore them, had prescription goggles so he could see where he was going; otherwise, he wouldn't have worn them. I remember hating my red eyes and now I wouldn't dream of swimming (even for fun) without goggles on. :)
  • Dr. Ransom Arthur, USN, used to work out with us at San Diego State ('64, '65) and he wore goggles during workouts. He was a cool guy but no one thought his goggles were cool. Time has proven he was right and we were stupid. And as most of you already know, he later went on to become one of the founders of Masters Swimming. You know, now that you mention it, the cool factor did play a big part in what was worn in the pool when I was in high school. My best friend and I had real Jantzen racing suits, which were the envy of our team. Caps were okay for girls, but you wouldn't catch a guy dead in one. I also remember wearing goggles was like admitting you were afraid to open your eyes underwater. The one guy on the men's team that I recall always wore them, had prescription goggles so he could see where he was going; otherwise, he wouldn't have worn them. I remember hating my red eyes and now I wouldn't dream of swimming (even for fun) without goggles on. :)
Children
No Data