What next, nose clip?

I'm swimming with a new workout group this year, and am thus in a new pool. Something in the water (not necessarily chlorine) is giving my sinuses fits. It takes more than a day to unstuff, during which time sleeping is problematic. I've rather casually tried decongestant (currently only Sudafed PE) and antihistamines (Claritin) and my trusty neti pot. The neti pot doesn't help a lot if your sinuses are completely clogged though. I'm skeptical that it's chlorine causing problems mostly because I swam in an older pool last season which had higher chlorine levels with no problem (at least by how long the chlorine smell lingered on my skin). I realize that chlorine is an irritant, not an allergen, so maybe antihistamines or decongestants won't be all that effective. Is there a nose clip in my future? Anybody using a nose clip strictly to keep chemicals out of your nose and sinuses? Thx, Skip
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    When I started swimming again about a year ago, 3x/week for 45 minutes, I too sneezed, had red eyes, and a sniffly runny nose. I tried everything under the sun for longer than a year...nothing, nothing worked. Medications, Nasal sprays, Neti Pot, suffering without anything...I finally went to be a timer at my son's swim meet and noticed that many of the guys were wearing=====NOSE CLIPS!!! I went right out and swallowed my pride, bought traditional nose plugs - not much difference, but some improvement. I noticed the boys were wearing different ones, so I went to a real swimmer's clip instead of the old style, and got some very cool looking Speedo Silicone Nose Clips ($3.95). WAY better, these completely close off the nasal passage, and I no longer sneeze, sniff, or require any sort of medication. Who would have ever thought the answer would be so easy..and yet so hard for me to actually do because of my pride. Nerds unite, and get over it. You too can swim again without suffering!
  • Former Member
    Nerds unite, and get over it. You too can swim again without suffering! I'll second that. I am totally out of the closet as far as nose clips are concerned. They are life savers. I haven't sneezed in almost two months. I can't tell you what a relief it is. Swimming has become a pleasure again. I couldn't care less what I look like. (But then I was so desperate to do something about my sneezing that I would have worn my grandmothers floral bathing suit if I thought that might have helped). Now if only I had more time on my hands.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for all the clip reviews. I've been swimming for fitness for the past year and just started to compete last December. It seems as I was learning to flipturn, I was getting a snout full of water, which infected my sinuses, throat and ears. I'm wondering if I should bother to try again, or just keep using the clips. Advice? wondering if you found a solution to this, as I am now having that problem with flipturns, which was not a problem in the past, but is killing me now. if no option besides noseclips, what ones are recommended for staying on and not hurting with a smaller nose?
  • Former Member
    Is there a nose clip in my future? Anybody using a nose clip strictly to keep chemicals out of your nose and sinuses? Where ever I swim I get a stuffy, drippy, running nose for about 2 days. I also sneeze a lot. That's a real bummer. The last few years I started using a nose clip which works 100%. It isn't exactly attractive:o but I never have any problems whenever I use a nose clip. I tried a lot of different nose clips. A lot of them slip off but this one works perfectly. It sort of grabs onto your nose: WinRegistered Essential Nose Clip www.clicksports.co.uk/.../ (not sure if it's available in the US)
  • Former Member
    Ph could be off...that could make the tissues up your nose more sensitive too..
  • I also use a nose clip, started to be able to swim underwater on my back further, the unexpected benefit was how much better my sinuses felt after swimming. I also compete backstroke events with the nose clip with no problems. It did take me a little bit of time to adjust my breathing, I didn't like it at first but now I am a complete convert. I probably have the clip on at practice about 60% of the time, mostly if I am doing backstroke. Just to give the nares a little recovery time! I like the smaller metal/rubber covered clips from TYR or Speedo. The plastic ones don't adjust well and break.
  • Former Member
    shhh their streamlining performance-enhancing effects could get them banned
  • Not sure if you're still looking for a reply but I've tried several nose clips and found that only trygon can keep out the water. They are expensive and appear large/bulky but do not pose a problem when in the pool exercising (wouldn't be good for competing). They are adjustable and lock tight. I haven't had any sinus problems after using them. Here is the link with info: usfreediving.org/usaa-info-merchandise-nose clip.htm
  • One other problem that you mentioned ... head and sinus cavities clogged. For me, the solution is to fill the sink with water as warm as I can tolerate, put my face in and blow bubbles. The warm water is magic. At first, very little air comes out through my nose, but gradually, it becomes unclogged. Eventually, I have stop and blow my nose. The relief is amazing.
  • I will pass along this tip to a few of our swimmers to see if the nose clip helps them. Thanx