So much faster with a pull buoy

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone suggest drills to help me swim as fast without a pull buoy as I do with one? I work hard at practice 5 days a week and make incremental gains every so often. But my improvement over the past year can't compare to the amount I improve when I grab a pull buoy. So - I need to be working on my body alignment? Keeping my legs high in the water? Strengthening my abs? I try to work on all of those things but I would really appreciate any drill or workout ideas. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Try pushing down ever so slightly on your chest. Your lungs are full of air, so that part of your body automatically bobs up to the surface, which pivots your legs downward. You can compensate with the slight pressure on the sternum. (Or, if it's back stroke, on the shoulder blades.)You may have to experiment a bit, by kicking without a board, to find out just how much pressure you need to get horizontal.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Try pushing down ever so slightly on your chest. Your lungs are full of air, so that part of your body automatically bobs up to the surface, which pivots your legs downward. You can compensate with the slight pressure on the sternum. (Or, if it's back stroke, on the shoulder blades.)You may have to experiment a bit, by kicking without a board, to find out just how much pressure you need to get horizontal.
Children
No Data