Total swim newbie, how do I manage 750 m?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi. I've never trained swimming before, and now I have to do a 750 meters swim (25 meters lane) in a triathlon competition. I can't crawl, so I will have to do with *** swimming. I'm not a good *** swimmer neither, so I expect to loose a ton of time to the other competitors. I'm not looking for any miracles, but is there anything I can do to minimize my time loss? Any easy tips to a total amateur in the last second (considering that I won't have any time to train before the event, this monday in two days)? Thanks! Andreas
Parents
  • Andreas, you probably have pretty good leg strength from biking and running. My advice is to push off and streamline as much as possible, and then glide for at least three full seconds before you start to swim. You get 30 pushoffs in a 750 m. swim in a 25 m. pool, and I would do everything you can to glide as far as possible off each one of these. This will reduce the amount you actually have to swim significantly without using up too much energy. To streamline, overlap your hands above your head, squeeze your ears with your biceps, stretch your arms as far in front of you as you can. After the push off, keep your legs together, toes pointed. Try, in other words, to make your body as thin and long as a missile--and stay in this position off each turn until you really start to slow down. Only then, begin to swim in whatever way you can to the next wall, then repeat. Good luck. Relax and don't fight the water.
  • Andreas, you probably have pretty good leg strength from biking and running. My advice is to push off and streamline as much as possible, and then glide for at least three full seconds before you start to swim. You get 30 pushoffs in a 750 m. swim in a 25 m. pool, and I would do everything you can to glide as far as possible off each one of these. This will reduce the amount you actually have to swim significantly without using up too much energy. To streamline, overlap your hands above your head, squeeze your ears with your biceps, stretch your arms as far in front of you as you can. After the push off, keep your legs together, toes pointed. Try, in other words, to make your body as thin and long as a missile--and stay in this position off each turn until you really start to slow down. Only then, begin to swim in whatever way you can to the next wall, then repeat. Good luck. Relax and don't fight the water.
Children
No Data