How do you deal with a slow non-stop swimmer in your lane?

Former Member
Former Member
There is a swimmer in our pool whose appearance is "dreaded" by many of us. As soon as she enters your lane and starts her laps, the whole lane gets slowed down for a at least an hour, because, #1, she never stops and never give a chance to others when she's at the end of the pool and is going for another lap while another swimmer had been waiting to start; #2, whenever she encounters someone during the laps (whether in the same or opposite direction), she would continue as if others don't exist, as if it's her own lane and as if she's thinking "get out of my way please"; #3, and that's the most important point: she's slower than all the others in the lane. So everyone else has to slow down because the lane is not so wide, and from time to time you see people try everything they could to get around her, or backstrokers hitting her from behind (and she would still go on like you were just a fly). She usually continues like this for at least one hour, could be 90 minutes. She probably has her rule in mind, to never stop during the lap. That's fine as many of people here do that, but that works only if your speed is comparable to the others sharing the lane. What's the best way to deal with such a fellow swimmer?
  • I kind of feel as the faster swimmer, I need to watch for the slower swimmer. I am the one that comes up on them. I guess I don't understand why this person cannot be passed, even in a narrow lane. Are you splitting the lane or circle swimming? It seems in circle swimming, if you continually pass this person on the left, they would get that when someone is coming by to stay over. I don't think there is a need to hurt them or drown them.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Yes we circle swim. The point is not whether she should be allowed in that lane or not--she should like everyone else. The point is, why should everyone else always wait for her to turn around and start a new lap at the end of the pool when she doesn't wait for others? It seems others are too polite. If everyone does the same as what she does, she will have to make adjustment.
  • My take is that if this isn't an organized swim workout, you really can't say anything, she has just as much right to be there as you. If, however, it is a formal workout and/or you and your training parters are already in the lane then you have every right to tell her what you will be doing and then hope she moves on. But, still, absent a formal sponsored workout by the facility, she has just as much right to be in that lane as you. It would also make me crazy.
  • One thing that hasn't been considered is if she is one of the seniors that spends 9-12 hours a day hounding the aquatics director. If that's the case, you might as well give it up.
  • My approach would be one of two things; First, try talking to her. Politely explain the ettiquette. Invite her to join your lane if she will do your workout on your intervals. Otherwise suggest strongly that she find a lane that will suit her better. Second, swim fly. This seems to deter a lot of people. Sounds like it might not work with her. Yesterday I was swimming on my own before I coached. The pregnant ladies class was going on at the same time so there were only 2 lanes available. I got the dreaded wall lane. There was one swimmer in the other lane. A third swimmer came by and asked me if I could share. I quickly surmised that she would be a pain to share with and said sure but said that the non-wall lane is easier to share. She went into that lane just fine. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    My etiquette is a direct reflection of their etiquette. From the original post this person has no business being in their lane (unless all the other lanes are packed with folks). I don't go onto a Tennis court next to a couple good players start hacking balls into their court....same premise. 100% agree. First, do try talking to her. If that doesn't work, just keep swimming and if you end up running over the top of her...that's her fault. At some point, it's happened to all of us. You eventually learn if someone faster is coming up on you or find a lane more suited for your speed.
  • Former Member
    My take is that if this isn't an organized swim workout, you really can't say anything, she has just as much right to be there as you. If, however, it is a formal workout and/or you and your training parters are already in the lane then you have every right to tell her what you will be doing and then hope she moves on. But, still, absent a formal sponsored workout by the facility, she has just as much right to be in that lane as you. It would also make me crazy. But, they can talk to her about when people want to pass her, how she should let the faster one's go around her at the wall. Plus, if there are other lanes open, ask her to find one with similar speed. This lady has to know that she is lower than the other people in the lane. Yea, she has the right but it doesn't mean she should. If common sense approach doesn't work...go with Lump's idea.
  • My opinion is she's really not under any obligation to stop. She wants to get in and swim continuously. Sure it would be nice if she stopped to let people pass, but I don't like interrupting my swims for other swimmers, either. I really think the onus is on the faster swimmers to pass her, not for her to stop.
  • Former Member
    ddl: Are your lanes unusually narrow? Every pool I've been in there's room to pass even when someone is coming the other way. If there is such a large disparity in speed just swim around her. Of course someone needs to nicely talk to her to explain how she inconveniences others. After that, contact when going around her might emphasize the message. I sometimes encounter the opposite issue. My workout pace is substantially faster than almost everyone else where i swim. People will try to leave the lane, seeking calmer water if I get in. I always re-assure them they need to do their own workout. Don't stop for me or worry about what I'm doing. I tell them it's my job to get around them without interference.